Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-12-2018, 11:49 AM

x
Sweet Jayne. She's bad.
x
Unread 10-12-2018, 12:08 PM

"It was a pleasure to accept the challenge, Allen, and I'm delighted that I was able to help you.
I felt like an MI5 agent hunting down a secret document, with all the security checks I had to undergo!" -- a quote from her post on Post Your Good News.

I will mail Jayne a copy of the meeting handout after I get back. The title of the paper is "A Contrarian View of Catullus' Dates". Her efforts at providing visible photographic supplements to a cramped footnote by an otherwise clear writer might impress some who can read enlarged very small print in ancient tongues.

I'd really like Book Eta by Sappho, but that's been out of print for decades. Shaun, can you find a copy? Even at the corner bodega?

Last edited by Allen Tice; 10-12-2018 at 10:55 PM. Reason: quote from another thread
Unread 10-16-2018, 06:51 PM

Talking Thank you once more. Here is a mischievous grin 哂.

Jayne, your physical photos arrived today, and they are very good. With them I was able to definitely resolve an important question about a very small letter that might have been an "l" or an "i" in favor of an "l". So I'm giving out a grin 哂 (alongside a dopey and hopelessly irrelevant not-too-common Chinese character [also a grin] that I rather like which looks like a rice wine bottle adjacent to a mouth on its left -- you may ignore it if you like -- perhaps someone else will recognize it). Fear not the funny faces from this end, smile also, be happy. Will correspond further by molecular mail. Best, Allen.
Unread 10-17-2018, 04:33 AM
Administrator

I'm glad the snail mail brought you the important photocopies in time, Allen.
Break a leg on Thursday, and thank you for making me out to be a saint... which I ain't!
But I do try to be a good person.

Jayne
Unread 10-23-2018, 06:10 PM

A Contrarian View of Catullus’ Dates – Allen Tice. That’s the paper’s title.

I write this on 23 October 2018, five days following my paper. It is very early to discuss the results of the Winston Salem meeting beyond saying that it was successful. Perhaps my paper had too many footnotes and photos of Latin and Greek from two pages of a rare book impossible to get in the USA (quite odd but true) and which were photographed for me very, very kindly by Jayne Osborn in the UK, who went to the David Wilson Library at the University of Leicester to do that. Thank You, Jayne! On the other hand, maybe there were just enough footnotes. As before at other conferences, I met people I had met before, and many I had not. I made new friends, and had warm, friendly conversations. An added treat for my wife and I was exploring the “Old Salem” Moravian Village site, once visited by George Washington, where we bought and carried away “Authentic Moravian Ginger Cookies” from the still active Winkler Bakery. They are good cookies. The questions I am interested in are not yet exhausted, and I will appreciate any further contributions. I wouldn’t object to having a dozen more footnotes, or even half a dozen, or one more.