Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-16-2021, 03:52 AM

Default Trump admin's final execution of a prisoner

Because he could. And because the Supreme Court of the United States let him. Serially.

Quote:
A final bid to halt Higgs's execution then failed on Friday when the US Supreme Court's conservative majority voted 6-3 to clear the way the sentence to be carried out.

"This is not justice," Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote in her dissent. "After waiting almost two decades to resume federal executions, the Government should have proceeded with some measure of restraint to ensure it did so lawfully. When it did not, this Court should have. It has not."

She also listed the names of all 13 executed since July: "To put that in historical context, the Federal Government will have executed more than three times as many people in the last six months that it had in the previous six decades."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55687279

Quote:
Since the federal death penalty was reinstated by the US Supreme Court in 1988, executions carried out by the national or federal government in the US have remained rare.

Before Mr Trump took office, only three federal executions had taken place in this period.

All were carried out under Republican President George W Bush, and included inmate Timothy McVeigh, convicted of the Oklahoma City federal building bombing. Since 2003, there have been no federal executions at all.

[...]

The 10 inmates executed in 2020 have led to a single-year total unmatched in modern history.

"We'd have to go back to 1896 to find another year where there were 10 or more [federal] executions," Ms Ndulue said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55236260

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 01-16-2021 at 03:54 AM.
Unread 01-16-2021, 01:47 PM

Yes I saw this and my jaw dropped once again, with my heart. Go. Just go.
This is but another repugnant act of a serial evildoer. He exudes, exhales, excretes vengeance. He is soon to be extracted, expelled, expunged from power. We will be wise not to take our eyes off him, not even for a second, until he is extracted, expires, exits from the face of the earth.

Everything he has done and will continue to do will be done expressly to embolden those who are stoked by his malfeasance. In turn, they will give him want he has an unquenchable thirst for: the worshiping at the altar of adoration for himself. Words cannot do justice to the disgust I have for that man.

My best hope is that we have dodged a Hitler of the heart.