Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-04-2019, 08:56 AM

Default When Orson Welles Met Hitler

I don’t know exactly why I’m posting this interview by Dick Cavett with Orson Welles -- other than it’s a damn good interview of a damn good man and artist…

I don't doubt that he (Orson Welles) is more familiar to and revered by many others here than he is to me and that to start a thread about him may elicit a “ho-hum tell me something I don’t know (but done respectfully : )” response. As the social networking adage goes: just thought I'd share...

Most of what I knew about him were only the superficial “headline” aspects of his life: that he was a genius, a storyteller, a great actor, the director of some of the greatest movies ever, etc.

This interview showed me the width and breath of the man and I will spend most of my 4th of July delving into his life, gasping at the impressive presence of both body and mind he had.

Incidentally, I find this to be the best interview I’ve seen by Dick Cavett, who typically underwhelms me with his style and ability as an interviewer of famous people.
The Hitler story is jaw-dropping...
x
x
Unread 07-04-2019, 09:45 AM

Hi Jim,

If you’ve not seen Orson Welles in The Third Man, let me recommend it.
Thanks for the link, which I look forward to following.

Cheers,
John
Unread 07-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Thanks for that, Jim. It was a scary portrayal, especially in that Hitler was a non-person to him. A vessel for hatred, perhaps. Enjoyed the whole interview. Just the way he talks he seems strangely today. No, I haven't seen The Third Man, John, but have been told to do so for years.
Unread 07-04-2019, 12:43 PM

The Third Man was available on Netflix (if you have it) as recently as last month. And my quick Google suggests it still is.
Unread 07-04-2019, 01:12 PM

Ok ok, will watch. I was a little disappointed by Citizen Kane (sorry). Maybe it was built up too much before I saw it. And I have watched it a few times. I think what's perhaps distinguishable is the approach. Like his interview, he's remarkably modern.
Unread 07-04-2019, 04:01 PM

Ha. I enjoyed Citizen Kane more than I thought I would, when I first saw it in my 20s. I think I was expecting something very portentous and worthy, but it's incredibly fast paced stuff. Has songs and everything ('Who is that man?'). I think it's maybe more shallow than its reputation suggests, but it's an amazing box of tricks. I felt the same about The Seventh Seal: thought it was going to be like homework, but it was a hoot.
Unread 07-04-2019, 07:28 PM

x
James: "It was a scary portrayal, especially in that Hitler was a non-person to him. A vessel for hatred, perhaps."

Yes, that's exactly how I felt. It is a Hitler I hadn't thought of. Dead inside. Hollow. Scary.

I could listen to Orson Welles reminisce for hours. What struck me (in the interview) was the intellectual vitality of the man and his capacity to tell stories.
x
x
Unread 07-04-2019, 08:24 PM

Thanks, for sharing this, Jim. I can't remember seeing it before, though some of the stories were familiar to me, so maybe I have. Welles was once a great artistic hero of mine.

Chimes at Midnight is my favorite movie of all time. Touch of Evil is also a masterpiece, IMO. Don't know if or where either might be available.

Of course there are many others -- Othello (a masterpiece if one can excuse the use of blackface), Magnificent Ambersons (which suffered from being chopped up by the studio behind Welles' back), Lady from Shanghai, The Stranger, Macbeth (shot in less than 4 weeks at Republic studios, know for low-budget, B-movie westerns).

All of his movies are flawed in various ways, mostly due to his constant difficulties (a) dealing with Hollywood studios and (b) his constant struggles raising money for post-Hollywood projects. But his failures are often better, or at least more interesting, than most people's successes.

Also, for the record, The Third Man was directed by Carol Reed and written by Graham Greene. But Welles was great in it.

David R.
Unread 07-04-2019, 11:59 PM

Yes, Touch of Evil is another one I've been consistently told to watch. The last day of my lit classes I usually show my students a movie. It frees me up to have discussions with individuals about their grades and to address other issues/questions. I do this also because I just want them to watch a good film, you know? I bring them whatever I can dig out of the rental place here (I know I can find stuff online, but that's really not my area). I get a lot of the same stuff~ One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Dangerous Liaisons, Shine (when I'm lucky and I can find it), but I almost always bring along The Graduate. And, about 80 percent of the time, they choose that. I don't know why. It baffles me. And usually they enjoy it. This year they actually applauded when it was over. I guess my point is, watching this for the 100th time, or half watching it as I was doing school business, I really started to appreciate the camera work for the first time. Amazing. And strange that it hit me so hard after watching the movie so many times. Anyway, what I'm saying, re Citizen Kane, is that maybe I was disappointed because my expectations were built around the wrong things. I'll check it out again (along with Touch of Evil and that Third Man).

Last edited by James Brancheau; 07-05-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Unread 07-05-2019, 01:25 AM

Touch of Evil is also just about my favorite Charlton Heston film - I'm not usually a fan, but the film is great. I'll add Welles's adaptation of Kafka's The Trial, of which he said: "The Trial is the best film I have ever made." It stars Anthony Perkins, aptly enough.

Cheers,
John