Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-01-2010, 03:49 AM

Default Poetry Research Study

Hi Everyone,

My name is Eric Heald-Webb, and I am currently a student at Old Dominion University’s MFA in Poetry program. I am conducting research into different ways poets draft their poems.

I would like to invite you to take a short survey. This survey asks questions regarding your poetry experience and writing habits, and should take no more than five minutes.

If you would like to continue to participate via a follow-up interview, you will have the opportunity to do so.

Please be assured that this study has been designed to protect your identity and your rights as much as possible. If you would like to view the research proposal, you may see it here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12203784/Res...20Approved.pdf

To participate in the survey, click the following link:

https://www.kwiksurveys.com?s=HMHDII_f522edec

Thank you for your participation,

Eric Heald-Webb
Old Dominion University
MFA Student
ewebb002@odu.edu

ps - I know this invite is formal, but it was presented this way to the review board...

anyways, Adam asked whether discussion around this topic would skew my results, and I say no!
Please discuss away, it's why I'm doing this.

I will also be posting the results to the board, if you are interested.
Unread 12-01-2010, 04:16 AM
Administrator

I was willing to take the short survey but got this when I clicked on the link so I didn't proceed:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended).
More information

If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.

For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.
Unread 12-01-2010, 05:57 AM

Jayne, Internet Explorer is ridiculously picky about certain sites. Just choose to proceed in spite of the warning.

For the record, Firefox didn't stop me, I took the survey, it's short, and you can choose or not to go further and be interviewed by e-mail.
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:43 AM

Eric,

Good luck with this. An interesting idea.

Ed
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:48 AM

Eric,

I took the survey and read your proposal. I was impressed that you went through all the steps for IRB approval, even if merely to obtain exempt status. As a long time member of an IRB, I read your methodology section with interest. I know you can't change your process without going back to the board, but you may have some flexibility on data analysis techniques. Since you've already proposed moving from qualitative to quantitative analysis, you may get more complex results by consulting with some of the experts available to you at the University. If you have any contacts in your departments of Sociology, Social Work, or Psychology, you may find them very helpful with methods of data analysis, and interpretation of results.

Just a suggestion,

Thanks,

Bill
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Since Eric has said it's okay to discuss in the open the issues he's studying, and since my brain has been chewing on it this morning, I'll go ahead.

I've been wondering whether people's answers will depend in some measure on whether they distinguish between composing and revising. As I remember them, the survey questions talk about composing, which I do with pen and paper. Once I commit something to the word processor, it's a draft, and changes to it are revisions, and I think of them as a different process, in which my brain operates differently--even though I often scratch handwritten revisions on the printed drafts.

Do others do this?