Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 05-15-2019, 07:59 PM

If you are indeed the Jim Hayes who wrote The Bad Habits of Little Boys, I'd like to say that I very much enjoyed the book -- in fact, I've bought several copies over the years and given it away to folks.

As to the rest, there's more than one way to skin a cat, as I think you, of all people, should know. If you want to recreate the Deep End of the Sphere, go for it, but very little about it was to my taste or that of many others.

Best,

Ed
Unread 05-15-2019, 08:25 PM

On the original poetry on the board thing: I don't know that they check, and I have never had a problem getting poetry from the board published (at least not had a problem because it was on the board).

That's why I always use false titles, and, if I send it out and it hasn't been culled, I delete the poem. The idea that sharing it on a non-Google searchable thread once but deleting it should be disqualifying is literally insane.
Unread 05-15-2019, 08:35 PM

I agree, Andrew, but since the vast majority of editors are literally insane, we may as well humor them.

I'm actually not as worried about editors seeing my poems as I am about the family members who appear in them seeing my poems. It makes for awkward Thanksgiving dinners.
Unread 05-15-2019, 08:36 PM

Honestly, the things people say about TDE have always seemed exaggerated and overblown to me (with deference to Julie’s point about the treatment of women, which the blindness of privilege allowed me not to notice, but which in hindsight I don’t doubt).

The critiques were less “harsh” than they were thorough. It always seemed collegial enough to me, and the whole EfH thing definitely seemed overblown — I usually found Alan’s crits to be constructive and instructive, and no more likely to cause “wounds” than anyone else’s. But that was five years in, and maybe things had changed a lot by then already.

When I was last posting poems here regularly, I had migrated from TDE to Met because more people were posting in met by then (for whatever reasons) and thus that was a more likely place to get helpful feedback.

David R.
Unread 05-15-2019, 08:53 PM

This thread is stupid.
Unread 05-16-2019, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Walter,
I'm sorry but I've had to delete the latter part of your post, though I understand your frustration...

As for the matter of search engines etc, here's a reminder of some of our Guidelines:

Threads in our workshop Forums—Metrical, The Deep End, Non-Metrical, and Translation—are not detectable by search engines.
Visitors and members are advised that posting a text for workshopping on this board does not constitute publication.
The very act of an author's posting work for critique on Eratosphere's workshop boards implies an admission that such work is still unfinished, and that the author is not yet prepared to allow its publication.
You can edit your own posts. If you need a post deleted, please PM a Moderator.

And a further reminder about the last point: Please do not delete your own poem from a thread you have started because you've submitted it for publication. It isn't fair to have critiques visible but not the poem!
If you can't wait till the next pruning (which will be in June, incidentally) please PM me and I will prune the individual thread for you.

Thank you. I think we're done with this thread now.

Jayne
Closed Thread