Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-31-2020, 06:49 PM

Julie, I’ve got to eat dinner Now. But I like your ideas! Thanks.
Unread 07-31-2020, 07:39 PM

It's an absolute requirement to have a blurb?

That's ridiculous. One more reason for people to self-publish instead.
Unread 07-31-2020, 07:59 PM

Kevin, et alii, it’s clear I must bang away at the publisher right soon for clarifications. That said, the one of Michael Cantor’s blurbs, however short, that meant something because of name recognition, as opposed to a description of what Cantor had written, was a kind of ballast with gravitas that I respected. I don’t know what a non-Spherean poetry reading stranger on Amazon or beyond might make of that or the other blurbs. But this blurb writer shows restraint generally as far as I know, and doesn’t effuse. So, it was a Good Blurb. For me. Needed or not for my reading interest. If blurbs are the “name of the game”, here, an obvious plus is a smidge of credible name recognition, sanity, and cogent description to inspire the will to read, and, naturally, purchase.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 07-31-2020 at 09:42 PM. Reason: infinitive
Unread 07-31-2020, 09:05 PM

The back covers each have a brief excerpt from the work inside, carefully chosen.

Nemo
Unread 07-31-2020, 09:40 PM

That sounds like something that might be negotiable. Why not? An appropriate sample. Right. Thank you. Quite a bit. The plot thickens. (Of Course,)

Last edited by Allen Tice; 07-31-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Unread 08-01-2020, 10:39 AM

OK, Kevin, Julie, Nemo, Chris, James, Maryann, and all the ships at sea, and entities in the distributed States and the world Anglosphere, thanks!

I decided to use Kelsay because Kelsay said Yes in a very nice way. Also because Kelsay has standards for my kind of book that require lots of previous publications in the book, which meant that the judgement of other editors has shown that the poems as a whole are worthy. I liked that! If I went the self-publication route for my first book, it’s quite possible that my unsupported affection for some items could create an inferior product. It’s like doing your own dentistry. Extensive previous publication does show something. But since often in the past I’ve had a lot of other obligations and being a perfectionist, I didn’t write as often as I wanted to. I’ve not been super prolific. So far.

I’ve reread everything that my publisher sent me. There’s ambiguity about blurbs. There’s some wiggle room, but they seem to be assumed.

A whole bookshelf of mine is full of books with different merits mostly bought at New York readings. I got Michael’s Furusato from him by mail. I think his is the only Kelsay imprint I have.

So, my question now is, of those on Eratosphere who have published with Kelsay, can you tell me, here or by private message, what did you do for the back cover? Was it blurbs? Was it something else?

I want this to remain a general interest thread. Also I do think Kelsay’s approach is wise. They make a nice book.
Unread 08-01-2020, 07:19 PM

There's some detailed advice (not poetry-specific, but applicable) here, including sample blurb-begging letters. Caveat: seems to be advice from a newbie rather than someone more experienced. But you can search for similar tips elsewhere and take your pick.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 08-01-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Unread 08-01-2020, 09:45 PM

Thanx, Julie.
Unread 08-07-2020, 11:57 AM

Allen, for my first book published by Kelsay, "The Ayterzedd", three Eratosphere members kindly agreed to write the blurbs. As far as I can tell, the book sold no more than a rather meagre dozen copies, but I am convinced that without the splendid blurbs, it might have been only one or two.

The problem, of course, is that blurbs may be useful to get the attention of people browsing in a bookshop, but since Kelsay Books are marketed on Amazon, how is anyone going to read the blurbs before they've actually bought the book?

I am told that what is really needed is a "marketing plan", but I wouldn't know what one of those might be even if it bit me in the ankle.
Unread 08-07-2020, 12:51 PM

Well, of course I don't know how Amazon will treat my extraordinary effort (baptized "Of Course,"), but often it's possible to view a book's back cover, and so a big fat name like that of Brian Allgar might sell enough copies to make the Boston Symphony Orchestra proud. Now, since I met you at West Chester and know your premium quality, I want your book, of course, and will look to see if it's on Amazon, then go on to the Kelsay site, and then I might turn to you if the freight charges aren't too high (of course!).

PS. It's on Amazon for $14.00 plus delivery that I can finesse, and I shall order it therefrom, if not from Kelsay. And there is a back cover blurb view on Amazon, with legible blurbs from Chris O'Carroll, Sylvia Fairley, and Basil Ransome-Davies (whose self-photos feature sunglasses to hide his brilliance). One of these called you a "respected name" and a "virtuoso avalanche." So there you are, Mr. Avalanche.

PPS. Done! From Amazon, just now, Brian.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 08-07-2020 at 02:04 PM.