Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-20-2020, 08:14 AM

No one who still supports Trump is susceptible to any kind of argument or information. Our energy should be spent encouraging and helping as many people as possible to vote.

We don't even need to and shouldn't try to influence how they vote. If there's a massive turn out, the good (well, the far far better) folks will win.

Trump supporters understand this.
Unread 09-20-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Were ‘mass hysterectomies’ performed on detainees at a US immigration centre?
FactCheck verdict

Many media outlets and high-profile social media users have claimed that women at a US immigration centre in Georgia are subjected to “mass hysterectomies” or “mass sterilisation” without their full informed consent.

The whistleblower at the centre of the story says she estimates 20 women had hysterectomies at the Irwin County Detention Center over six years.

If that’s correct, it doesn’t look as though the rate of hysterectomies in the Irwin County Detention Center is higher than the general population. But this is a back-of-the-envelope calculation and we would need to know a lot more to make an accurate comparison.

From what we’ve seen, all the allegations are against a single doctor (he denies them). Two women say they were given hysterectomies that may not have been necessary. If they are true, they are tragedies and scandals for the victims.

But at time of writing, we have not seen evidence that hysterectomies were happening at the facility on a “mass scale”. So for now, we should be careful about using the language of “mass hysterectomies” and “mass sterilisation”, which harks back to several shameful chapters in America’s recent past in which thousands of predominantly black women and girls were forcibly sterilised by the state.

The case has been referred to the government watchdog that oversees US immigration authorities.
https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...gration-centre
Unread 09-20-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
One has to be depraved in a way that goes well beyond adherence to any dogma to not see that.
A mentality that writes off so many people in one swoop simply because they don't share your over-the-top negative bias about someone is more along the lines of "depraved" I think.

Last edited by Kevin Rainbow; 09-20-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Unread 09-20-2020, 12:43 PM

That’s the magic. No one cares what you think.
Unread 09-20-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
That’s the magic. No one cares what you think.
And you would know what everyone cares or doesn't care about.
Unread 09-20-2020, 02:59 PM

Kevin, are you calling for a vote on who here thinks your opinions on poor Mr. Trump's slander by the big bad Left has any intellectual merit? I have you polling in the low single digits on this question.
Unread 09-20-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Kevin, are you calling for a vote on who here thinks your opinions on poor Mr. Trump's slander by the big bad Left has any intellectual merit? I have you polling in the low single digits on this question.
No, and I fail to see whence you came up with that notion.

Do you form your opinions based on how popular they are at a poetry workshop?

Intellectual merit and truth aren't determined by "popularity" or "votes".

I never claimed the opinion is "popular" here, so it seems a "straw man". It hardly specifically "my" opinion"; Trump supporters in general, even some non-supporters, have strongly voiced opinions about how lopsidedly bias against him so much of the mainstream liberal media have been.
Unread 09-20-2020, 05:20 PM

I just noticed you're Canadian. I am instantly suspicious when someone who isn't a U.S. citizen is pro-Trump. The rot and destruction he brings to the U.S. is warming the heart of Putin and others. There are many things to be angry at the U.S. about and perhaps Trump is that punishment. I know if I didn't like the U.S. I'd love Trump.

But hell with it. I'm here for poetry, not arguing with trolls.
Unread 09-20-2020, 06:03 PM

I second James's #14 post.

Onward, towards a more perfect union.
Unread 09-20-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I just noticed you're Canadian. I am instantly suspicious when someone who isn't a U.S. citizen is pro-Trump.
I see you like to show off your layers of rude prejudice.

Quote:
The rot and destruction he brings to the U.S. is warming the heart of Putin and others.
A good economy, safer borders, less wars, cheaper prescriptions, is not "rot and "destruction". The rot and destruction is your hatefulness and the denialism of the good he has done.

Quote:
I know if I didn't like the U.S. I'd love Trump.
Yea right, anyone who doesn't share your hate toward Trump doesn't like the US. Wow, you sure know how to delve into the depths and diversities of an issue.

"Depraved", "troll", suspicious because I am Canadian. What other cheap shot do you want to come up to try bash someone you disagree with? Your words so far are a shameful gobbet of negative prejudice. Your poetic side better be very poetic to atone for how rude this side of you is.

Last edited by Kevin Rainbow; 09-20-2020 at 07:20 PM.