Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-20-2017, 07:35 AM
Distinguished Guest

Default Rattle

Winter #58 issue of Rattle is now available for order, and will be mailed on December 1st.

The issue will include Rhina Espaillat's finalist for the Rattle Poetry Prize, as well as work by Claudia Gary.

My translation of an ancient Cherokee shaman's medicine, "Formula for Frightening a Storm," is in the journal. (I am Native American Indian, and I know and speak the Cherokee language). Of course, the poem is in rhyming, metrical form.

I hope you will check it out, as it looks to be a great issue. Editor Tim Green tells me this is ground-breaking for RATTLE, which has never before published anything like my Cherokee shaman poem. As far as I know, no one, anywhere, has. Apparently, after hundreds of years of oppression, Someone thought it might be a good idea....

Here is the link:

https://www.rattle.com/print/50s/i58/

Product description begins:

The Winter 2017 issue of Rattle is wide open, featuring some of the best poems we’ve published all year, including Bill Glose’s epic war poem “Phases of Erasure,” and a long and energetic confession to the editors by Richard Prins. With special appearances by Barack Obama, Carlos Santana, and Emporer Nero, the open section is more eclectic than ever.

Jennifer
Unread 12-05-2017, 03:49 PM

Congratulations, Jennifer. I'll keep an eye out for a copy.

Nick
Unread 12-06-2017, 02:55 PM

Congratulations Jennifer. A beautiful translation.
Unread 12-07-2017, 05:31 AM
Distinguished Guest

Nick, Vera -- thank you so much.

Jennifer
Unread 12-07-2017, 06:10 AM

Great Jen,

I'm just knocked out by this one. Got my copy last week and only slipped it out yesterday. Happy to see your inside.

—R
Unread 12-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Distinguished Guest

Many thanks, Rob! It is interesting, your choice of words, that you are "knocked out" by this one -- I received a letter from an Englishman in London, a Rattle subscriber who told me that the translation actually startled him. He had never read any authentic, original Native American Indian "literature," and had no idea they were so intelligent, articulate, nuanced and sophisticated as this.

It is a true pleasure to see you say this, along with this gentleman's remarks. How many would know that it is, indeed, so sophisticated, linguists rate the Cherokee language among the most difficult in existence, more complex than Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, Russian, etc.?

It's good to see eyes being opened to the worth of my ancestors, quite apart from the purely literary aspects of my work.

Jennifer
Unread 12-08-2017, 12:35 PM

Congrats Jennifer. I loved all three of those poems, plus your work in THINK.
Unread 12-08-2017, 01:10 PM

Congratulations, Jennifer, and to anyone who can into Rattle.

Don't know if I can do this, but here is your poem. (sorry, couldn't get the note into italics)

[Poem edited out due to potential copyrights issues --Alex]

Last edited by Alex Pepple; 12-09-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Poem edited out due potential copyrights issue --Alex
Unread 12-09-2017, 04:26 AM
Distinguished Guest

Well, Ed -- I don't know if you can do it, either, but if Tim Green sues you or Able Muse, I guess we will find out I do not, personally, have a problem with it, but terms of my signed contract included "world rights," to first publish this online. And, yes, this is my translation.

Andrew, wado, thank you. I am also gratified to know you liked those three new poems of mine in the latest "THINK."

Merry Christmas, all, and a happy new year, to you and yours.

Jennifer
Unread 12-09-2017, 06:38 AM

Jenn,
The thing I wanted to say, as I have enjoyed this aspect of your poem on each reading, is the title, or rather the conceit of the title. I love the idea of "frightening" a storm, rather than being frightened of it. Brilliant that. It may well be the shaman's own idea, or been inherited from the tradition, but I love the idea. Personally, I love storms. The more frightening the better. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the craft of your translation. I admire the way you have made it your own, but have still done such a convincing job of honoring the traditional idea.