Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-09-2018, 02:09 PM

Default You'll go blind!

I'm not sure what it says about we 'spherians, but whenever I take a nosy at 'who's online', almost inevitably someone (always an anonymous 'guest') is looking at a seventeen year old thread about Anne Sexton's 'The Ballad of The Lonely Masturbator'.

Come on, onanism up! (sorry)
Unread 10-09-2018, 03:51 PM

Well, I must confess I just had a look at it. An interesting insight into the way the sphere used to operate.

The poem itself put me a little in mind of Dory Previn in its neediness.

Now, where did I put my specs...
Unread 10-09-2018, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McDonnell View Post
...whenever I take a nosy at 'who's online', almost inevitably someone (always an anonymous 'guest') is looking at a seventeen year old thread about Anne Sexton's 'The Ballad of The Lonely Masturbator'.
Hmmm... I'm not disputing what you say, Mark, but in eight years or so I've never come across anyone looking at this thread... but now everyone is, of course!

The late, great Alan Sullivan didn't rate the poem, and I'm inclined to agree with his opinion; it's only the titillating title that is drawing in all those ''guests''.

I'm being a party-pooper again, but is there any actual point to this thread? I can't see one, sorry.

Jayne
Unread 10-09-2018, 05:46 PM

No point whatsoever, Jayne. By all means lock it on the grounds of excessive immaturity. Or ignore it and it'll go away. It's true though. I'm always seeing it.

And yes Ann, in (some kind of) seriousness, those older threads are fascinating to me.
Unread 10-09-2018, 07:13 PM

How are you-all finding these ancient threads? I thought they got weeded out every 6 months or so.
Unread 10-09-2018, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Gail,

Pruning takes place every six months or so, of the recently workshopped poems, but there's a massive archive of old GT and D & A threads. When you look at Who's Online, just scroll down and all the threads that others are looking at (including ''guests'' i.e. non-members) are there for you to see; if you click on the title the thread will come up.

There is, indeed, a lot of totally fascinating stuff to read in private, rather than having ancient threads bumped up, which we don't want!

Jayne
Unread 10-09-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
When you look at Who's Online, just scroll down and all the threads that others are looking at (including ''guests'' i.e. non-members) are there for you to see; if you click on the title the thread will come up.
Wow, I never knew that until now.
Unread 10-09-2018, 11:51 PM

Here's my theory. It's always the same anonymous guest. Furthermore, she (or he) has been continually locked into that thread for many, many years. That's his (or her) life. Get up in the morning, make some eggs, read the poem. Have a baloney sandwich, read the poem. Heat up some canned ravioli, read the poem. I know it sounds awful, but it beats listening to Fox News all day.
Unread 10-10-2018, 01:54 AM

I always thought that guests, far from being non-members, were mostly members who have signed out and come in again by the back door so nobody can see what they're up to. Eggs Benedict, anyone?
Unread 10-10-2018, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn:
When you look at Who's Online, just scroll down and all the threads that others are looking at (including ''guests'' i.e. non-members) are there for you to see; if you click on the title the thread will come up.

Martin: Wow, I never knew that until now.
Well, there you go, Martin, this thread did have a purpose, after all... you, Annie and Gail have benefitted from it; it's all down to you, Mark, so thank you!

And I wholly endorse Michael's theory - in fact, it's someone called xxxxx... no, no, I mustn't ''name and shame''!

Jayne