Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-06-2017, 12:55 PM

Lenin, Trotsky, the theory of Permanent Revolution, major theoretical contributions to the understanding of imperialism, the philosophical writings of Georgi Plekhanov, Dziga Vertov, Sergei Eisenstein, Vladimir Mayakovsky, Velimir Khlebnikov, Mikhail Bulgakov, Christian Rakovsky, Victor Serge, giving Nazim Hikmet safe haven (yes, of a sort, but better than Turkey), giving Big Bill Haywood safe haven (yes, of a sort, but better than the U.S.), safeguarding the Cuban Revolution....
Unread 11-06-2017, 02:30 PM

Boris and Natasha.
Unread 11-06-2017, 05:37 PM
Administrator

And these, of which I have a large collection.

Jayne
Unread 11-06-2017, 05:44 PM

Matryoshkas!
Unread 11-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Or Babushkas, John -- I don't know what the difference is, and can never remember how to spell Matryoshkas...

...so I just call 'em Russian dolls!

Jayne

Edited in to say: According to this there's no difference!
Unread 11-06-2017, 05:59 PM

My wife confirms that matryoshka is just the name of the doll, and babushka is a grandmother. :-)

Cheers,
John

Update: interesting video! The computer was reading a printed text, so said mAYtryoshka not mAHtryoshka. Also read 'object as ob'ject. Spelling the word matreshka, as the video suggests doing, means missing the two dots over the e in Russian which makes the e an o.
All this to say: it's tough to spell, and my wife isn't sure how to spell it in English...

Last edited by John Isbell; 11-06-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Unread 11-06-2017, 06:43 PM

Speaking of which, this is the only Babooshka* I had known. In confirmation of the sense John gave, the OED:

babushka, n., [Russ., grandmother, f. baba (peasant) woman.]
1. In Russia: a grandmother. More generally: an elderly Russian woman. Also as a form of address.
1834 tr. M. N. Zagoskin Young Muscovite I tell thee what, Babushka! I have no time to waste with thee in idle words. 1887 N. H. Dole tr. Tolstoy Iván Ilyitch & Other Stories Let him go, babushka; forgive him, for Christ’s sake. 1919 R. D. Power Under Bolshevik Reign of Terror How can you stay there while the babooshka is fainting? 1951 E. H. Erikson Childhood & Society The grandmother assumes that place in the boy’s life which women in Russia play traditionally for anybody’s children: the role of the babushka. 1980 B. Mason Solo You see the older woman at the back? My babushka, my mother's mother. 2005 Spectator Russia will become a nation of babushkas, unable to muster enough young soldiers to secure its borders or enough young families to secure its future.
2. A head covering folded diagonally and tied under the chin; a head-scarf.
1938 Chatelaine The babushka is a peasant-sort of hood you wear over your pretty curls. 1948 F. Brown Murder can be Fun She wore a greenish mottled babushka and stringy hair pushed out in front of it. 1959 Encounter A voile scarf tied babushka-style.

*According to Kate Bush, this song chronicles a wife’s desire to test her husband’s loyalty. For which she assumes the nom de plume of Babooshka and sends notes to her husband in the guise of a younger woman – what she fears is the opposite of how her husband currently sees her. The trap is set when, in her bitterness and paranoia, Babooshka arranges to meet her husband, who is attracted to the character that reminds him of his wife in earlier times. She thereby ruins the relationship thanks to her own paranoia.That the word ‘Babushka’ itself means ‘grandmother’ in Russian is something Bush ‘didn't realise at the time’. In the context of the song, however, Bush just ‘popped the name out, because it felt right’. She apparently picked the name from a fairy story when she was younger, before discovering its Russian meaning, and how ‘Babushka’ was a good name for the woman in the song.

Last edited by Erik Olson; 11-07-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Unread 11-07-2017, 09:15 AM

Ahem vodka is Polish!
Unread 11-07-2017, 04:19 PM

Jan, Na zdrowie ! – Vivat ! – Sto lat !

Let’s not forget they gave us the gift that keeps on giving: the Pompous POTUS.
Unread 11-07-2017, 08:56 PM

A sad homosexual man who soundtracked every American Christmas and never asked for anything back.