Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-09-2023, 11:39 AM

Default Freeze Framed

Freeze Framed 1949

Our team bus slogged slowly through the snow near twilit Jackson, Michigan. It dropped me off at the corner of Edgewood St where my family lived. Today had been the highlight of my early football efforts. As a husky twelve-year-old, I centered for the Reds, all fifth- and sixth-grade gridders, making up two teams of the Booster Midgets, the Reds and Blues. We had been part of the Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions half-time show at their annual Thanksgiving Day feud, and my Reds had roundly trounced the Blues.

Throughout the Reds’ successful season, Dad had faithfully recorded me on still and movie film as we briefly played at several half-times of local high school games. So, returning to the Lions’ tunnel, where he had planned to be, I was shocked. He hadn’t made the trip! Coach Fortune Sullo told me US 12 was closed for hours, too treacherous for travel to Detroit.

When I returned home, Dad was all smiles and Mom told me how he had waited, knelt before our 12-inch Admiral TV screen as if in still and silent prayer. His camera had caught me exiting the tunnel, carrying the ball, leading both teams out to start our game. Dad had frozen me smiling within a snow-spangled aura, as if he’d been there on the field! His perfect picture frames my pride, still arouses memory and gratitude for his devotion.

Last edited by RCL; 01-15-2024 at 01:12 PM. Reason: L4: gridders for beasts
Unread 12-13-2023, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCL View Post
Freeze Framed

Our school/team bus slogged slowly through the snow near twilit Jackson, Michigan. It dropped me off at the corner of Edgewood St where my family lived. Today had been the highlight of my first/early football efforts. As a husky twelve years old/twelve-year-old, I centered for the Reds, all fifth- and sixth-grade gridders, making up two teams of the Booster Midgets, the Reds and Blues. We had been part of the Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions half-time show at their annual Thanksgiving Day feud, and my Reds had roundly trounced the Blues.

Throughout the Reds’ successful season, Dad had faithfully recorded me on still and movie/both still and running film as we briefly played hard-fought exhibitions at several half-times of local high school games. So, returning to the Lions’ tunnel, where he had planned to be, I was shocked. He hadn’t made the trip! Coach Fortune Sullo told me US 12 was closed for hours, too treacherous for travel to Detroit.

When I returned home, Dad was all smiles and Mom told me how he had waited, knelt before our 12-inch Admiral TV screen as if in still and/locked in silent prayer. His camera had caught me exiting the tunnel, carrying the ball, leading both teams out to start our game. Dad had frozen me smiling within a snow-spangled aura, as if he’d been there on the field! His perfect picture frames my pride, still arouses memory and gratitude for his devotion.
Hi Ralph,

I like this pretty much as it is but I've highlighted some places where I think minor tweaks might make for slightly smoother reading (my suggestions follow the slashes which are preceded by your original words). Changes are probably not necessary and are only ideas for you to consider.

All the best,
Jim
Unread 12-13-2023, 02:05 PM

Thanks, Jim. I'll consider all of your helpful suggestions. It was my one and only time on television!