Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-12-2016, 11:51 AM

Default Work in Progress

This piece doesn't have a name yet. Any ideas are welcome.

This is the detail of the center of a larger canvas. This area and her off-shoulder dress are laid in so far. The dress is made of paper strips and beads.The face is entirely made of hole punch dots from reused packaging.

I would like comments on some of the ideas I am considering:
~ to make her hair from old video tape.
~ to create a fanciful headdress and jewelry from keys.
~ to leave the background plain as it is now. If I add some background detail it will be very subtle - distant, but what?
~In her right eye, our left, the one blue dot, which contains a touch of pupil, needs to be rotated about 60 degrees clockwise.
~ I am also toying with the idea of adding a light shine in each eye with a pearl bead. I am wondering is the increased focus created in the eye will be worth ruining the purity of the whole face being created by only hole punch dots. Does that make sense?

To see what I mean - compare this piece which I did with entirely beads but then messed around with it in the computer. See how the eyes come into focus with a strong highlight?

Don't worry about the jagged line of the outline, like along her forehead. This is the next job - to make the outline smooth with partial dots, as I have started to do on her chin and shoulder.
Unread 11-22-2016, 06:35 AM

A woman of vengeance is what I see - in addition to a beautiful woman and some great art.

This is a detail - are her shoulders bare? The dress, is it ethnic? What are the dimensions of the piece?

As for the eyes becoming the attraction by adding pearl beads, the eyes are already alluring... can you experiment and pull back if you don't get the desired effect? I think the strength of the face in the detail you've provided could be minimized by eyes that demand all the attention.

Best, Jim
Unread 11-26-2016, 06:11 AM

Hi Jim,
Thanks for commenting. Yes, I can put the pearls on and see before using glue. I am leaning towards leaving it alone though. I will get back to you with the dimensions and maybe a full photo of the canvas soon. I'm guessing it's about 24 x 36 but it's in the studio - have to go measure it.
Unread 02-01-2017, 10:43 AM

Cool piece/concept. I like the idea about video tape as hair.

In terms of title, a few metaphorical interpretations of your piece struck me:

- something about small cells composing our body; and also how we regenerate these cells ever seven years or so.

- something about the smaller pieces that compose our identity (family, culture, media, experience, etc)

- something political about how the nation is composed of individuals (i.e. mosaic vs. melting pot; Whitman's "Leaves of Grass"); don't know if you want to go there given the current political climate, but if you're so inclined, you've got something here. It doesn't have to be as blunt as making her the Statue of Liberty composed of smaller units/people, but something subtler might get the point across.

- a word or phrase that envelops or sums up all of these interpretations.

Looking back, I can see that my title suggestions all want you to put something on the hole-punches: maybe something personal, maybe something cultural, maybe something political, but all about the smaller pieces whose sum is our identity. For instance, holes punched from "beauty magazine" if you wanted to comment on the social construction gender identity.

Another idea is from Foucault's take on "identity": http://www.theory.org.uk/ctr-fou1.htm

Anyway, I like your picture.

Last edited by Frank Candeloro; 02-01-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Unread 02-06-2017, 10:19 AM

Hi Frank,
I like all your thoughts very much. I hadn't been thinking politically when I did this but I had been thinking about the environment, even back to the point where I saved the original packaging. I wish these hole punch dots had come from beauty magazines now, but that paper is too thin, these are from packaging, mainly crackers and cereal.

I love the fact that this brought the Statue of Liberty to mind for you, that's fantastic. All the while she has been more of a dominatrix in my mind. Hmmm maybe that would be a very cool combination.I will consider all your ideas as I proceed.

I will post an update of this piece soon because Jim also asked about the dress. She now has some change to the eyes and the beginnings of jewelry. The video tape shreds didn't work as I had imagined.