Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-29-2018, 11:42 PM

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087015...ry_pl#synopsis
Unread 10-30-2018, 12:24 AM

In a political context, C.H.U.D.s are people who, like Roger Kimball, say things like: "Congratulations to President elect Jair Bolsonaro. The left-wing press describes him as 'far right,' but then they describe President Trump as 'literally Hitler'. What Bolsonaro is in fact is a populist, nationalist patriot. A good thing." You know, sufficiently right-wing and with a twitchy enough right arm as to overtly hail fascists.
Unread 10-30-2018, 01:23 AM

https://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showt...ighlight=Chuds

Catherine - We've been here before. For further enlightenment take a deep breath and plunge in.

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 10-30-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Unread 10-30-2018, 05:22 AM

I was way off point about the Redskins. I apologise for that. I was trying to make sense of Sam's original and subsequent posts.

Enough is a beautiful thing. I have spent a lifetime trying to live in the light of it, fighting upwards in times of too little and saying "no thank you" in times of too much. Current consumerism appals me. The thing is, living according to those precepts is all very well, but pointing it out is, as I have lately discovered to my tearful cost, "virtue signalling".

Is that being "butt-hurt"? I have foundered before on terminology, clinging to the moving staircase of it: CHUDs, Narcs and Bozos - I try not to qualify.

I could howl for the best minds of the later generations but I will just have to trust them. Trust is the farmer in Steeple Bumpstead when I was a child who always put a barrel of surplus apples at his gate at this time of year with a placard, "Help Yourself". It's my Grandmother holding my wrist - "two's enough; one for now and one for later".

It's all falling apart. We will perish in wars over resources long before we drown. Enough is not a concept that has much hold on the minds of the multitude, Enough is all we need. In principle.

But please don't call me a Boomer. I'm not a Boomer. I am of different generation and am sorry for being Silent.
Unread 10-30-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy Lehr View Post
In a political context, C.H.U.D.s are people who, like Roger Kimball, say things like: "Congratulations to President elect Jair Bolsonaro. The left-wing press describes him as 'far right,' but then they describe President Trump as 'literally Hitler'. What Bolsonaro is in fact is a populist, nationalist patriot. A good thing." You know, sufficiently right-wing and with a twitchy enough right arm as to overtly hail fascists.
I’ve submitted a lot of embarrassingly terrible poems to a lot of places, but the only one that I’m ashamed of is when I sent a good one to TNC. Roger Kimball is a vile man.
Unread 10-30-2018, 08:03 AM

"Bolsonaro, who is leading by a wide margin in polls, has said that he would rather have a dead son than a gay one and that homosexuality is a result of a lack of beatings. A recent string of attacks on gay, lesbian and transgender people by his supporters has shocked many here and sparked fears that homophobic violence will increase — and go unpunished — during his presidency.... Brazil already has one of the world’s highest rates of LGBT killings. Last year saw a record 445 reports of anti-gay killings." Washington Post

This is why I hate Rothman's poem and certain formalists whom I'll outlive--assuming I don't go to Brazil, I guess--but won't name because they'll cry ad hom to Alex, boo hoo--who call for civility when the other side literally wants you dead.
Unread 10-30-2018, 08:14 AM

Tut tut, Walter, that's very rude of you.
Unread 10-30-2018, 08:27 AM

How is it rude, Aaron, or false?
Unread 10-30-2018, 08:52 AM

It's neither rude nor false. My post was a (bad, apparently) joke, about the civility police viewing the very arguments against civility ("the other side literally wants me dead") as themselves uncivil, since those arguments attribute very mean things to the other side.

(As a general rule, possibly an exceptionless rule, I will not say "tut tut" if the point I'm making is at all serious.)
Unread 10-30-2018, 08:58 AM

No worries. Part of me did think you were joking since it seemed unlike you. (I would have gone for a tsk, tsk.)