Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-17-2020, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Nemo said:
Quote:
If the existence of Deep End does no harm, the existence of arguments against it do no harm either.
My sole point has been, all along, that the "arguments against it" seem rather futile, given that it's all been said before and nothing has changed, nor is likely to any time soon. So haven't we all got better things to do than to be discussing this once more?*

But looking back over this year, even with all its other difficulties, I've posted poems at The Deep End and so have Carol Taylor,Yves SL, Aaron Poochigian, Tim McGrath and Quincy Lehr (since the June Prune). It's not a huge number but it's not exactly a graveyard either. All of the poems received critiques, possibly a little more 'robust' than on Metrical... I'm not sure, but one of the main purposes of TDE is for "frank comments''. Members are told that "if you feel uncomfortable with close attention and emphasis on craft... then post at Metrical." There is nothing hierarchical about TDE, except in some people's perception.

We are still attracting new members; I've welcomed quite a few but, as Julie pointed out, I do a lot of the day-to-day admin stuff single-handedly. I don't often post poems as I have a very busy life! (Maybe that's why I resent spending time on non-productive stuff like this!*)

Jayne
Unread 10-17-2020, 08:55 PM

Jeez, Jayne. This requires no time on your part at all. As long as it's OK for people to raise questions and express opinions.
Unread 10-17-2020, 09:49 PM

(oh nevermind, I've said my piece already)

Last edited by Aaron Novick; 10-17-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Unread 10-18-2020, 02:38 AM

Mark M, I should have thought that the answer to your conundrum was pretty obvious

Ahora, como el hombre dijo, ‘ por fin y afuera’
A la Nemo, I’m now off to the garden to garner the mellow fruitfulness of the season that’s in it

Last edited by Jim Hayes; 10-18-2020 at 03:17 AM.
Unread 10-18-2020, 03:06 AM
Administrator

Rick said:
Quote:
This question comes up from time to time. Posed often by me. Thought I'd check the waters again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mullin View Post
Jeez, Jayne. This requires no time on your part at all. As long as it's OK for people to raise questions and express opinions.
Thanks for that.
Who has ever said it's not OK for people to raise questions and express opinions? No one.
...But the SAME question, over and over??

Jayne
Unread 10-18-2020, 08:17 AM

Jayne, I think Rick was responding to your saying "I resent spending time on non-productive stuff like this!" Since everyone is behaving themselves reasonably well, you needn't spend any moderator time on it at all. Just let people have a pointless, non-productive discussion if it makes them happy.
Unread 10-18-2020, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Ha! Bob, I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't.

I regularly get emails, PMs, even the occasional phone call - from this side of The Pond. They can range from "Poor you!" to "F*** you", though the abusive kind are rare, fortunately.

I'm tasked with ''keeping an eye on things'', and I'm perfectly happy to let members talk about whatever they like - notice that I never get involved in US nor UK politics - but I'm still entitled to let my views be known as well, whenever a discussion ensues that grabs me.

But I appreciate your thoughts, and will certainly take your advice regarding your last sentence!

Jayne