Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-21-2019, 09:52 AM

R.I.P. John
Unread 04-21-2019, 09:55 AM

x
I, too, became enamored of his sounds and wit and rhyme. I bought his book on how to write poetry because I thought his wisdom might, just a little, rub off on me. It only showed me how hard it is to teach someone something that can only be earned through the tedious alchemy of observation and reflection and whatever else goes into the magic of John's words.

A chorus of poets will bring him back to life. I would love to have a collected/selected volume of his work. Sail on, John.
x
x
Unread 04-21-2019, 09:59 AM

Since I came to the 'Sphere late I only caught glimpses of him. He was kind to me when he didn't have to be. Every once in a while I'd read a poem of his that really moved me. This one, for instance.

I don't remember why, but I struck up a conversation with Walter about his poems, and Walter turned me on to a whole host of poems by John I quite admire.

RIP John.
Unread 04-21-2019, 10:04 AM

This is such sad news.
My condolences to family and friends.

Vera
Unread 04-21-2019, 10:43 AM

I'm very sorry to hear this news. John wrote elegant work with apparent ease. I arrived to the Sphere late; he popped up just once in a comment thread of mine (I still remember), and it was in generosity of heart.

John
Unread 04-21-2019, 10:54 AM

I'm so glad John crossed the pond a couple of times. Meeting him was such a pleasure. A rare master of verse.
Unread 04-21-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Our John

Ann,

Thank you for letting us know this sad, but not unexpected news. I knew that John had health problems.

I had the pleasure of first meeting John in 2016 at West Chester when I was in his workshop. He was absolutely inspirational, and a force of nature. I tend to be too Type A about my writing, but John had a way of loosening me up like no one else before or since. I still remember the exercise he gave us to write a poem using only onomatopoeia. I'll also certainly miss the conversations we had, and cherish my signed copy of "Girlie Gangs" even more now.

Peace be with you John.

Ted
Unread 04-21-2019, 10:57 AM
Administrator

I've been friends with John for fifteen years, and I'm terribly saddened that he's no longer with us.

At West Chester 2016 I chaired a panel on "Whitworth at Seventy" (some of you will be wondering how old John was), and it was great fun. John was a fun guy, ...slightly eccentric..., but that was part of his charm.

Everyone, whether personally acquainted with John or not, will acknowledge what a brilliant poet he was. He'll be very much missed by his family and friends. RIP, my old mate.

Jayne
Unread 04-21-2019, 11:00 AM

How sad. I've missed him. John and I were at opposite ends of the spectrum politically, and reminded each other of this this often when he was active on the Sphere - but when we met at West Chester we hit it off at once. It was impossible not to warm to the man in person. John was gracious, witty, and a wonderful poet.
Unread 04-21-2019, 11:10 AM

Much saddened by the news.