Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-29-2020, 08:27 AM

Default changing thread titles (test10)

I just discovered, entirely by accident, that by double-clicking beside the title of my latest thread in metrical, I was able to change its title, as these screenshots illustrate:

Drunk on my power, I did this a few times, and now I seem to have lost the ability. So my question is: what's the deal? Is it a time-limited thing (you can do it within X minutes of starting the thread)? Is it limited to a number of times? Did I just suddenly get mod powers for the briefest of moments?

Oh and also, uh... can someone change my thread title back to "Japanese garden", please?

Edit: just changed the title of this thread ten times, so it's not limited by number. But now the ability is gone, so it appears to be time-limited (to five minutes, maybe?). So I guess we have a temporary ability to change thread titles upon creating them. Now I know. Perhaps this is news to you as well.

Last edited by Aaron Novick; 09-29-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Unread 09-29-2020, 10:27 AM

Yep, news to me. Mods can do it in the way you describe at any point (which I know from another vbulletin forum).

But googling, I see that it's configurable: a time limit can be set to allow users to change their own thread titles. This can be set by someone with admin privileges. How long it is here, I don't know. Jayne or Alex would know or could check. But useful to know this can be done.

-Matt
Unread 09-29-2020, 10:44 AM

Or maybe it's just you, Aaron, and you have the world's most niche, yet also unreliable, superpower. Thread Change Man! Pow!!
Unread 09-29-2020, 10:49 AM

Thanks. I suspect it is one of those features that not even Alex knows about, but maybe it will inspire me - get my mind off Trump and corona viruses and similar tragedies and back to writing. I could start by writing and changing titles and then graduate to actual poems. Anything to (a) start writing, and (b) stop obsessing about our totally fucked-up and fucked-over world.

(I do know that Mods can change titles, but I don't know if this is some thing they're born with, like the Dalai Lama, or it just comes about by being appointed.)
Unread 09-29-2020, 12:08 PM
Administrator

First off, I see you're online at this precise moment, Aaron, so I can tell you that I've changed your poem's thread title - for good!

Another comment is about to follow...

Jayne
Unread 09-29-2020, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Michael said: (I do know that Mods can change titles, but I don't know if this is some thing they're born with, like the Dalai Lama, or it just comes about by being appointed.)

Yep, I was born with this Superpower

No, only joking... I haven't got time right now to find the appropriate bit in the Guidelines (I'm exhausted after looking after my 2 year-old grandson for two days!) but it's always been my understanding that you need a Mod to alter a thread title.

I think you may be right though, Aaron, in that you can alter a mistake yourself - in about a nanosecond, maybe - after which the damage stays done.

I would like to state that I never mind being contacted by members about stuff such as this; Alex doesn't have time for the everyday ''housekeeping'' matters, so I'm happy to deal with them and Alex seems happy to leave them to me. I refer all the heavy techie stuff to the Boss, however...

Jayne
Unread 09-29-2020, 01:18 PM

Thanks Jayne.

Based on my tests, I believe the ability lasts for about five minutes for us plebs.
Unread 09-29-2020, 03:49 PM

Hi Jayne,

Apparently, if you go to the Admin Control Panel, this setting will tell you how long we've got:

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Message Posting and Editing Options -> Time Limit on Editing of Thread Title

-Matt
Unread 09-29-2020, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Q View Post
Hi Jayne,

Apparently, if you go to the Admin Control Panel, this setting will tell you how long we've got:

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Message Posting and Editing Options -> Time Limit on Editing of Thread Title

-Matt
Where did you get that info, Matt?

I must have a different Admin Control Panel!

Jayne
Unread 09-29-2020, 05:16 PM

Hi Jayne,

I googled it; it's from the link in the my first post. It was someone offering help for vBulletin v4 and the Sphere is v3, so I guess that might be why it's not the same.

Still, I imagine there must be a setting somewhere which specifies that users can edit thread titles and for how long.

-Matt