Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-11-2021, 09:35 AM

Default OLD School toots. Old school indeed.

Big Boy Blue come blow your conch. 17 thousand+ years Before Present sounds, very loud in cave.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/10/96632...nch-shell-horn

https://scitechdaily.com/ancient-con...-hear-it-here/

https://advances.sciencemag.org/cont.../eabe9510.full

Last edited by Allen Tice; 02-11-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Unread 02-11-2021, 09:51 AM

Well that's really weird because the three notes on the audio clip, if they sound like anything, sound a bit like the opening of Also sprach Zarathustra. Which, as we all know, was the first piece of classical music played on prehistoric earth.
Unread 02-11-2021, 05:56 PM

Ordinarily, I don’t have a lot of interest in caves as such. Spelunking per se isn’t my thing ; rather I swoon when looking at Canadian Rocky Mountains or visiting our own very highlands such as Rocky Mountain National Park, where I can negotiate with small animals at 11,000 feet or more. Caverns get me going when there’s evidence of deep time human activity. An unusually excellent film available in 3-D Blu-Ray is Werner Herzog’s “The Cave of Forgotten Dreams” about the Chauvet caverns in south France. 35,000 years ago: footprints of a small human and a wolf, plus plenty, plenty of paintings, one or two NSFW and big; some with bear claw scratches made after the painting was done. I had the distinct pleasure of see this 3-D filmic gem five (5) times in a Greenwich Village theater. I went five distinct times. And emerged each time looking at the street traffic and buildings in amazement for an hour or so afterward. It’s as close to time travel as I’ve ever come, apart from visiting Minoan and later classical remains, and very powerful. Buy the DVD in any format you like; it’s worth it to get some perspective on our lives today.
Unread 02-12-2021, 01:34 AM

I beg to differ,Mark. Those three notes are the opening of Cwm Rhondda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkVT8O5E1rM
Unread 02-12-2021, 11:29 AM

Ann, that’s a beautiful video. The third note is not quite that of the third conch sound, or so it seems to me, yet every bit close enough to justify your post. What can I offer in continuation without hijacking my own thread? I have visited America’s Luray Caverns, although the colored interior spotlights cheapened the experience. In the Werner Herzog film, there is a brief segment where a pentatonic flute of enormous European archaeological antiquity is played. Because it was closed temporarily I didn’t get into Crete’s Psychro Cave on the only day I could visit there though I had driven up to it as a special trip to Lasithi which was otherwise quite fascinating. Thank you, Ann, for a lovely link.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 02-12-2021 at 11:32 AM.