Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-11-2009, 11:06 PM

Default Let's Play with Dac-Hex

Rather than risk the de-railing of Allen’s dactylic hexameter currently on TDE, I thought I would start a thread in “Drills”.

There are a few of us here (Maryann, Rose, Frank, myself and others) who have tried our hand at this meter. And perhaps there are others (like Allen) who would like to explore its possibilities.

This thread below, on A.D.Hope’s hexameters, is where I started a few years back.

http://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showth...light=dactylic

The first point, as Tim notes on that thread, is that foot-scansion is an inappropriate tool for analysis. This is an accentual meter where I.P. rules no longer apply. There may well be, for example, 3, 4 or even more unstressed syllables in a row in this form. So when we speak of “dactyls” what we really mean is a predominating “dactylic pattern”.

The point I would like to emphasise is that the rules governing classical dac-hex in Greek or Latin, while interesting to know, are also likely to be inappropriate in an English context.

There is little point in being strictly faithful to Homeric rules, for instance, if the result In English simply doesn’t work.

And there is no point in saying that something which DOES work in English is an “illegal” move in the classical context. To me, what we should be trying to do is make the form viable in English, rather than insisting on maintaining the rules of classical prosody.

Another important question we might explore is: Do you think the form has any application or value today? In other words, what do readers (as distinct from poets) make of the form?

So let’s play with dac-hex – examples (yours or others), issues and questions all welcome.
Unread 07-14-2009, 10:33 AM

cut - - gone to diverge!

Last edited by Diana B; 07-15-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Unread 07-14-2009, 03:42 PM

Hi, Diana, just a friendly note from your rhapsodic cockroach friend here, at this thread , to alert you that Mark has large mounds of piquant umbrage laid up to take when he finds someone mentioning adherence to Homeric or Ovidian patterns of classical dactylic hexameter.

Mark, bless his heart, wants new styles of six-foot dactylic (more or less) writing that he feels are more suited to natural speech in English. (Perhaps they could be called by a slightly different name to distinguish them from what most folks mean by "dactylic hexameter".) He created this thread for that line of thought.

I don't entirely disagree with him, but in practice, we do diverge quite a lot at present.

- Spats (speaking for Allen)
Unread 07-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Allen, as I just admitted on your TDE thread, I am beginning to realise that I have absolutely no skill in reading other folks' meters.

In fact, I don't think I my crits in general are much help to others, which is something I have noted for quite a while now.

I am still very interested in these long lines, but from now on I intend to read and not comment.
Unread 07-14-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Allinson View Post
Allen, as I just admitted on your TDE thread, I am beginning to realise that I have absolutely no skill in reading other folks' meters.

In fact, I don't think I my crits in general are much help to others, which is something I have noted for quite a while now.
IFF * you say so.

- Allen (speaking for Spats)

* iff
(mathematics, logic) if and only if; used to show that the predicate that follows it has the same truth value as the predicate that precedes it.   LINK