Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-17-2015, 12:20 PM

Default Synapse

This is mixed media and collage. Because it's a scan, it's a bit cropped.

Added 1/18 Hoping for a clearer image. The colors seem truer in this one but none of the sparkle is coming through. I think getting good photos of my beaded collages is not going to be easy.
Unread 01-17-2015, 05:24 PM

It is a bit blurry too, it looks like you have sown beads onto fabric, I like it but I would think it much more effective in real life. As a painting or wall-hanging it woud make a room feel happy.
Unread 01-17-2015, 05:35 PM

Okay, I'll play. Mere colorful chaos, at first glance. But the patterns draw me in to contemplate details. The spiral gives me vertigo, but the consistent pattern of 10's in the larger circle counters that feeling, somewhat. The pyramidal symbol stands out in this otherwise chaotic kaleidoscopic expression. Perhaps it has some significance, some hint for interpretation? The colors are pleasantly pastel.
Altogether, interesting and engaging.

But seriously, I would like to know how the image was made. If this is a scan of an original painting, the artist obviously spent a lot of time on this.

Stephen
Unread 01-18-2015, 06:25 AM

Thanks for commenting, Ross and Stephen.

Ross, the fabric you are seeing is the surface of the canvas. The beads are glued on. I love that idea that you feel happy looking at it. Creative thoughts flowing through my synapses is the happiest thing in my life.

Stephen, yes, this is a scan of an original painting. It's an 11" X 14" mixed media on canvas panel. I started with very thin washes of acrylic. Next, I came in with oil paint markers. Finally I glued beads on. It took about 3 days maybe. I can't be sure because I work on several pieces at a time.

When I was painting the pyramidal forms I was thinking about logical or mathematical thoughts flowing through the synapses of the brain. Would the electrical energy of logic take a different shape than thoughts about music or colors? But this is an abstract piece and paintings should stand on their own without explanation. It's a delightful thing if someone sees something that I don't. For example, I don't see the 10's you are referring to. Would you point them out?
Unread 01-18-2015, 06:39 PM

Around the spiral within the largest circle, I see four sets of 10.
Unread 01-18-2015, 10:04 PM

Wow, do you mean 10 of a shape, 10 pink dots for example? I was looking for a number 10 written out.
Unread 01-19-2015, 09:44 AM

I'm sorry, yes shapes of same color and design. 10 blush cells, 10 raspberry(?) cells, 10 larger yellow-green cells, and 10 pyramids. The symmetry of patterns and colors of even number are pleasant and calming to me. Spirals do give me vertigo. The second image is much better. Now we can see more of the large pyramid, and your signature. Is this the 14th work of this kind?
Stephen

Last edited by Stephen Hampton; 01-19-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Unread 01-19-2015, 10:27 AM

No, that's the date, 2014. This is my first abstract piece.
Unread 01-20-2015, 12:40 PM

Okay, honest reaction--no criticism intended!

This painting strongly reminds me of early childhood experiences of being at a birthday party, carnival, or Disneyland...and getting so overwhelmed by the abundance of sensory input (beautiful colors, sparkles, patterns, details, etc.) that I couldn't process it all, and started sobbing. Loudly. I ruined a lot of family outings by throwing meltdown tantrums and begging to go home. My sisters still resent me for it.

I think that the barrage of beautiful elements will have very positive, festive associations for most people. For me, though, the sheer volume of busy festivity makes me nervous.

I'm slightly less nervous if I focus on the more organized parts of the painting, as if I'm looking through a microscope at diatoms, and am able to demote some parts of the scene to irrelevant background. I'm aware that I'm missing a lot of the beauty that way, though.

Clearly the above comments say more about me than they do about your painting, Sharon.
Unread 01-22-2015, 09:57 AM

Thanks for commenting, Julie. Wow, I find it so interesting that the painting is about brain activity and your reactions are also all about brain activity.

Isn't it interesting also, Stephen, that you wondered about the triangle shape, which I intended to be about logic and math, and you saw math in the circles.

I am enjoying this.