Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-11-2018, 04:35 PM

Default Turkish genocide in the making...again.

Another appeal for some sense that anyone in the America State actually gives a damn about the real freedom fighters who pushed ISIS back and are now surrounded by Edrogan's thugs:

You may be aware that one of the most radical feminist revolutions has been happening in Rojava, north Syria through the Kurdish Women's Protection Units (YPJ) and their fellow male units YPG who are currently under direct threat and bombardment by the Turkish regime and its allied jihadists and recycled ISIS fighters.

There are fierce clashes occurring right now in Afrin. Erdogan’s jihadists and mercenaries are 2kms away from Afrin city. This is a terrifying development as 900,000 civilians and internally displaced people are now trapped in the city with no way out!!! For weeks we have seen how the invading Turkish “army” who are clearly former ISIS soldiers - recycled into terrorizing Kurds and exacting revenge on the SDF-YPG_YPJ for their historical and humiliating defeats since Kobane’s liberation - have been killing, burning, massacring, torturing civilians. At every step the Turkish backed jihadists and their political backers in Ankara have called for the “cleansing” of Afrin of Kurds and returning the “original” inhabitants. This week the Syrian Army was demanding anywhere from $1200-2000 from civilians in Afrin wishing safe passage out of the canton, an extortion that is double the yearly salary of an average person. There is literally no way out for the civilians surrounded to the north by an EU supplied massive 3m high cement wall and jihadists, Turkish military, Syrian military and ISIS on the eastern, western and southern fronts-all the while being bombed from the sky which are happening right now. The city also has very little water left and convoys of supporters are stuck in the city swelling the population numbers.

Thousands of SDF-YPG-YPJ fighters are fighting fiercely to save the city and the civilians but Erdogan has not hesitated to bombard the city and civilian areas- and in fact has done so deliberately as an act of clear terrorism- and the bombardments will/are continuing! Ground forces can only do so much to defend a besieged city under constant, unrelenting bombardment!

I cannot over emphasize the urgency of the situation!

Flood your MPs and Senators office with phone calls. Gather for urgent protests. Show up on the front of parliaments, embassies and UN headquarters. Blockade. Flood the streets with flyers. Call human rights activists and ask them to speak up. Mass contact and flood the social media accounts of human rights organizations. Call your media offices and demand they cover the invasion and the humanitarian crisis urgently.

We are responsible for our silence, and our silence has real life consequences. Don’t let an ethnic cleansing happen for the love of all that is human and still sacred in all of us. If you don’t speak now when will you?

#DefendAfrin #Afrin #YourSilenceIsKillingKurds
Unread 03-12-2018, 01:41 AM

I was made aware of this by voices raised here...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rs-turkey-isis
Unread 03-12-2018, 05:20 AM

The general Armenian feeling is to hate Kurds somewhat less than Turks: https://www.pri.org/stories/kurds-tu...enian-genocide
Unread 03-12-2018, 06:50 AM

I don't have strong feelings about Turks - Istanbul was lovely, and folks fairly friendly a few years back - but I do about Erdogan, whom I despise as I despise Putin.

Cheers,
John
Unread 03-12-2018, 07:08 AM
Distinguished Guest

Probably the first time I have ever agreed with Andrew.
Unread 03-12-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Poochigian View Post
The general Armenian feeling is to hate Kurds somewhat less than Turks: https://www.pri.org/stories/kurds-tu...enian-genocide

I don't know feelings were assigned by people groups. The leader of the PKK and one the philosophic roots of the YPG and the YPJ has been outspoken in his affirmation of the Armenian genocide. And these young women and men fighting for their lives and their fledgling revolution were born a century after those events. Seems a strange post to me. Like the general Jewish feeling is to hate Italians somewhat less than Germans in response to events today. I used the word Turkey to refer to the State, not all Turks in general.

Thanks for your post, Michael.
Unread 03-28-2018, 09:43 AM

It is to be seen how long the Turkish adventure in Syria will last. Conquering was easy, but holding territory is a different matter. Turkey is now liable for 3 million people in Syria, and will need to pay for everything including infrastructure, schools, housing and generally to keep the local economy afloat. On top of that the Turkish economy is heading towards a recession, that might lead to a vicious circle of bad economics and more political repression. It would be well deserved if Erdogan's fall from grace would be rooted in his incursion into Afrin.