Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-19-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan McLean View Post
Well, that is inarguable, Michael. But it does suggest to me that if someone else wants to run a sonnet contest, there is a huge pool of eager entrants waiting for a chance to send their entry fees. Bill Baer seems to prefer to retire his brand when he stops calling the shots, but there is nothing to stop anyone else from doing something similar (preferably someone who actually knows something about formal verse).

Susan
How about the Able News Review?
Unread 01-19-2018, 01:11 PM

Things one should ask when considering whether to run a sonnet contest:

What's the going rate for a judge with really good name recognition among formal poets?

How many entries has the Nemerov been getting in recent years? Do the entry fees cover the prize and the judge's fee?

Does it create any problems for a magazine to commit to publishing a winner and finalists?

Oh, and whom do we trust to screen the entries?

Last edited by Maryann Corbett; 01-19-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Unread 01-19-2018, 01:37 PM

Bill Baer might be willing to be consulted about how he ran his contest, if there is someone interested in starting up a contest of their own. I hope that I was not interpreted as suggesting that Baer does not know something about formal verse. Since the new head of the West Chester conference does not seem to be expert in the subject, you never know what can happen. Wikipedia states that the Nemerov contest tended to receive over three thousand entries. A new contest would probably receive fewer, at least until it gained a reputation. I believe that Baer did the screening of entries himself, and that the judge looked at only the top dozen or so, but I could be wrong. If a judge doesn't have to look at many entries, his or her fee may not be extremely large. However, anyone who organizes a new contest can run it any way that he or she chooses.

Susan
Unread 01-22-2018, 07:10 AM
Distinguished Guest

I talked to Bill Baer at length yesterday, mostly about unrelated things, but he has already been approached by at least one person interested in continuing the mission. Bill has been generous with his time & I am sure he would be generous with others as well.

Alex also knows how to find me, and I can give him most of what he would want to know, if he is interested.