Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 06-16-2017, 09:25 AM

Rogerbob, I’m sympathetic to your concerns on healthcare, as I get mine through Obamacare. I don't know that I have the answer to the problem, but I noticed with interest that CA and NY are fairly close to getting their own single-payer programs through their legislatures. That is a possible way forward. There must be others, mustn't there?

But what I meant to convey – being a poet -- was the feeling I am experiencing. That feeling, increasingly, is alarm at the mood of the country. I hope I'm being oversensitive.
Unread 06-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I don’t have an answer other than to repeat the obvious truth that we have to start talking to each other civilly again about political differences.
Ironically enough, this was often the core of a lot of Bill's arguments, specifically with regard to his frustration that any deviation from what he saw as some leftist orthodoxy would get him labelled as right wing. I have some sympathy with that. Unfortunately, from this reasonable premise, and in his crusade against 'leftist identity politics' etc he would then start goading people and calling them 'snowflakes' and using the ridiculous language of the alt-right thereby scuppering his own premise.
Unread 06-16-2017, 09:45 AM

Agreed, Mark.

I don't want to derail this thread. The Gerson piece just touched on a lot of what I've been feeling and seeing. Enough out of me on the subject.
Unread 06-16-2017, 11:42 AM

There's a difference between getting ganged up on and having to take on a bunch of individuals who disagree with you. The prevailing temper here is leftish, so those who are rightish well know that they're going to be preaching to the unconverted. That said, I agree with Mike Juster that opening up GT to any subject revealed that the can held not Franco-American spaghetti but a lot of worms.
Unread 06-18-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
Bill didn't say he wouldn't look at this thread! I hope you are looking in, Bill, to see that you have friends here who don't want you to go away from the Sphere.

Some interesting viewpoints have been expressed, regarding GT etc . . .

For my own part, in the main I'd prefer general topics of discussion to continue (although I keep well away from political debates myself), but we'll never please everyone, no matter what we do.
I can recall a couple of contentious debates that have been about poetry, so I don't think there's any point in trying to keep GT to purely poetical subjects of conversation; people will still argue with those who have opposing views!!

But this is about Bill. If you are reading this, Bill, you can ask me to delete this whole thread if you wish to carry on as if nothing has happened, and I will. I hope you'll reconsider your decision to leave and not come back.

Jayne
No, Jayne, I suggest we leave this thread open. And I just want to say a few things:

John Whitworth: you're right, all I need is a thicker skin. The thicker skin is on, and the kid gloves are off.

John Riley: You make no sense to me, so I will probably get on best by putting you on ignore. We shall see.

Quincy said, "Don't come back". Well guess what, it was your terse comment that forced me to return, to log back in and to suck it all up. I notice the way you drop and run. Start a thread, then disappear. Make a comment, get a response, and then don't have the courage to continue the dialogue. Grow a pair, Quincy. And cut those bangs, for Christ's sake. Are you twelve?

We shall see how this goes.

Thank you Jayne, and others, for your positive responses.
Unread 06-18-2017, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Hi Bill, and welcome back.

There will always be ''personality clashes'' here; it's inevitable that in any community some people will get along extremely well, while others rub each other up the wrong way! ("Just stating the bleeding obvious", as Basil Fawlty used to say )

For me, the great friendships I've made (and that includes members I've met as well as members I haven't) far outweigh the not-so-good relationships. We choose not to mix socially with people we don't get on with -- and there's no difference here. We can simply avoid them.

I shall leave this thread open just till tomorrow, Bill, as it doesn't need to go on and on... it won't serve any useful purpose and I definitely don't wish to see it turn into a political debate, which it has threatened to do.

Stick around, Bill; you have friends who want you to.

Jayne
Unread 06-18-2017, 11:30 PM

Bill,

Glad to see you're back. You back up your arguments with logic and reason, which can be respected by those on all parts of the political spectrum.

There can be as much art in debate as there is in poetry.
Unread 06-19-2017, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William A. Baurle View Post
John Riley: You make no sense to me, so I will probably get on best by putting you on ignore. We shall see.
People that make no sense to you, but are obviously articulate and thoughtful, are the ones it is best not to ignore.
Unread 06-19-2017, 04:25 AM

Welcome back, Bill. I may disagree vehemently with most of your stated opinions, but I shall defend your right to express them to the death, though preferably not my own.
Unread 06-19-2017, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Isn't it nice to see good-natured responses, even if, or when, opinions (political and/or otherwise) differ?
That's just the way it should be.

Jayne
Closed Thread