Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-26-2021, 02:12 PM

Default Recommendations for workshops & similar please

Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions for interesting poetry workshops or similar (zoom etc). Not so much structured courses - more an afternoon of interesting ideas/provocations, or a day or (at most) a couple of days.

Most of the courses I've looked at either ask for a regular time-commitment over long weeks, or lead to a qualification, or are full of vanity narratives, or just look crap/insular/overly fluffy or are vomit-inducing for a variety of reasons.

(not that I'm picky or anything).

Anyway, if there is anything out there that you'd recommend, please share.

Sarah-Jane
Unread 02-26-2021, 02:52 PM

Now I am curious about what vomit-inducing poetry workshops look like.
Unread 02-26-2021, 02:58 PM

Sarah-Jane this place (the Sphere) has something called Classrooms, about which I know nothing, but check it out for content and possible cost?
Unread 02-26-2021, 03:12 PM

Thank-you RCL,

I had a look but I think 'classrooms' is short fiction. Cost is fine as long as it isn't ridiculous.

However, if there is an in-house thing, and anyone wants a knowledge-exchange with collage/photoshop that is a skill I can bring.

(But I was looking for external things - I only know poetry forums, tbh and it would be good to see what the edu-poetry world looks like outside of these)

Sarah-Jane

(Yves, they are a curiously nondescript colour)
Unread 02-26-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves S L View Post
Now I am curious about what vomit-inducing poetry workshops look like.

They're the ones that have policies like, "please give positive comments to all poems, so we don't foster an atmosphere of negativity, in any way".

P.s.: Sarah, your question is interesting, and I'm looking forward to reading any suggestions.
Unread 02-27-2021, 01:27 AM

I have been looking at that Classrooms forum for years. It hasn't changed.

Get a-Googling. Investigate The Poetry School and Coffee House Poetry or look into courses with The Arvon Foundation or Ty Newydd.

Good luck.
Unread 02-27-2021, 05:53 AM

Not a recommendation as such, but as I've just discovered, if you stick "poetry workshop" into the search box at Eventbrite, lots come up. Some of which look very interesting, and quite a few are free.
Unread 02-27-2021, 11:41 AM

Ditto, search poetry discussion forums
Unread 02-27-2021, 01:01 PM

Create your own workshop with your own rules. It will be great.
Unread 02-27-2021, 02:36 PM

Thanks all for these suggestions & research ideas.

W.T. - it's not all about fluff or anti-fluff (there's room in the poetry landscape for lots of different spaces & ways to share). And sorry, because 'vomit inducing' doesn't really give much away. I asked people to suggest something on the basis of several very vague general statements (apologies).

I think for me ‘vomit inducing’ means lots of different things in this context. I know lovely people who attend very formal poetry workshops and they sound like an appropriately interesting thing, and their work often improves, but it's 'steered' - often it improves at the cost of loss of unique voice (imo). Whether they like it or not, organisations have agendas, frequently money-related or status related or style related.

It’s the same in the visual arts. Courses/schools have 'house styles' (this is probably because of a half-lost tradition of atelier style teaching). And there's frequently an echo chamber/ 'find my tribe' approach to things, which is fair enough, but it risks narrowing ideas and approaches.

Ann - thank-you. I love the idea of a classrooms forum stuck in an infinite loop of supportive environments for short fiction.

The Poetry school I like the sound of, and I’ve friends who relay okay experiences, but it tends to be structured as a commitment over time, rather than a very short series or one-off. They are probably what I’ll go for, though. The Arvon and Ty Newydd strike me as formal, very ‘accepted hierarchy’ - the opposite of alt-narrative (I would like to be about alt-narratives, at least in theory). Coffee House poetry I haven’t heard of and I’ll look it up (thank-you).

Matt
- yes, they do, and some of them sound very enticing. There are lots over social media too (they also sound enticing). And probably one of the most useful poetry events I’ve been to was the one you recommended (J.R Carpenter). But there are so many and it’s difficult to know

RCL-
I agree, but the problem is it’s really hard to separate the marketing from the reality.

Kevin Rainbow - Yes, I deserved that. My echo chamber would be the nicest and most amazing echo chamber ever.

I will research, and see if I can locate possibly interesting things by looking at people's work online, too (there's frequently a kind of sharing page post-workshops, or poems are shared on social media, so that might give me a steer).

Sarah-Jane