Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-18-2019, 06:52 PM

I agree completely, Claudia. It's not religion, per se. Which is why I particularly like the split a piece of wood thing. Anyway, to be clear, I'd prefer Trump soiling himself on his way to jail.
Unread 10-18-2019, 07:13 PM

My feeling is that when prison beckons, Trump will flee the country. Putin should be happy to keep him as a pet.

Cheers,
John
Unread 10-18-2019, 07:38 PM

So it's Trump and Snowden playing gin rummy to pass the time?
Unread 10-18-2019, 09:07 PM

Those are three scenarios I’d be happy to take literally.
Unread 10-19-2019, 05:49 AM

{rethinking}

Last edited by Matt Q; 10-19-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Unread 10-19-2019, 06:21 AM

Also if Trump's impeached and Mike Pence becomes president, Trump will absolutely cordon off Mike Pence from the daily administration of the business.

Cheers,
John
Unread 10-19-2019, 06:29 AM

Most of religion is a grand symbolic edifice.
And yes, it is literalism (symbolism's opposite), not religion, that is the enemy.

Nemo
Unread 10-19-2019, 06:36 AM

Amen. And the literalism often starts with thinking God is a thing, rather than no thing. It's all downhill from there.
Unread 10-19-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moonan View Post
x
Andrew: Collectives like First Things help afford respectability for the basic tenets that underpin the power of the affluent Right in this country, which is the group that has created/opted for the particular Christianity that is the engine of fascism in America.

Don't forget, too, there's the affluent Left. Never the twain shall meet. Mitt Romney is not the same animal as Rush Limbaugh. Both are affluent Right. One is extreme. The same can be said about the Left. It may be hard to bear, but both (extreme Right and Left) are cut from the same cloth. Both must capitulate to moderation and compromise for things to change with a minimum of violence, venom, and ugliness that will occur if they (the extremists) should ultimately steal the stage and clash big time.

x
x
There are people with deep ties to the system and the resulting leverage (economic and positional) that comes with it who vote democratic and suport various causes associated with the Left. But the reason I have rarely had even a ghost of representation in any of the actions taken by the American State is because it is fairly easy to attenuate anything resembling real movement toward land, liberty and justice for all so that nothing is actually lost or risked for those holding the leverage.

Forgive me Bud but to me the extreme Left would be people actually living out the practice of our beliefs such as (for the most part) the Zapatistas, Kurds in Rojava, or any number of isolated collectives spread across the globe. I find that most people use the term extreme Left to refer to mariginalized violent idiot-Americans disconnected from any meaningful commune or association or some ahistorical pawing at the State-worshipping scum that ran the murders in Russia and China. So you might have to clarify what the extreme Left is and what it demands. If you are talking about the reluctant acceptance of violence in the thoughtful subsets of Antifa or the Earth First-ish scenes then all I can say is that I see no difference between them and any action of self-defense faced with no other viable outlets.

I know I am way off the OP here. I don't get the whole focus on publishing. To me the focus, as Aaron put it, is on a rage. The absence of that rage is what I cannot comprehend. First Things is in the service of the movement to conserve of "traditional" values on captial, gender, women, their bodies, and the Nation-State. This movement may be an idea in many of the people's lives on this board but it has long been an action in lives outside of the classes, hemispheres, and biomes most often represented here. I don't care if your rage seeks to undermine this murderous movement from without or within. But if person can be alive here and now and not finally feel a rage and a need to put the ideology at base of First Things into the museum of murderous but politically exctinct forms of being than I don't think that person is competent spiritually or morally.

Please demand your congress people or whatever gods you pray to put up a no-fly zone to protect the Kurds in Northern Syria. My friends are being murdered by the fuckbag idiot that is the culmination of the ideology behind First Things playing out in the mindless idiots that it was seeded into.
Unread 10-19-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Nemo Hill View Post
Most of religion is a grand symbolic edifice.
And yes, it is literalism (symbolism's opposite), not religion, that is the enemy.

Nemo
Yeah. Literalism wed to certainty.