Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 08-25-2014, 02:36 AM

Default Lakeside

An ArtRage digital experiment using the oil paint and palette knife plus a tool called Confetti:

Click image for larger version

Name:	lakeside 2.jpg
Views:	1236
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	813

Edited to add:
"Lakeside" is an imaginary landscape, a painting of a place in the world of Nonesuch.

Last edited by Patricia A. Marsh; 08-25-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:57 PM

Hi Patricia,

Is this computer generated? If so... I must ask the obvious qeustion... why not real paint and a real palette knife?

I find the image not very compelling... it's kind of a commodity landscape.

Rick
Unread 08-25-2014, 06:54 PM

Yes, Rick. I used the ArtRage 4.5 software to "paint" the picture on my laptop with a mouse . . . much less messy than the "real" thing and, of course, there were no fumes from turp and linseed oil to aggravate ye olde COPD.

As for the image of a commodity landscape not being very compelling, I have to agree with you. Anyone experimenting with the ArtRage digital painting program, however, might find it interesting to see how the Confetti tool might be used to create the illusion of foliage.

FWIW: Until someone on Facebook recommended it, I had never heard of ArtRage. I played around with the free demo for two days and was hooked . . . I purchased the software and have been experimenting with its various features for approximately three weeks. Perhaps my latest experiment, Grandma's Scrapbag---a piece of "art" created last night using the Paint Roller tool from ArtRage---might be more [**uh**] compelling?

Why not give ArtRage a test-run, Rick? Free demo available at the following link: http://www.artrage.com/demos/

All best!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grandma's Scrapbag.jpg
Views:	1628
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	814  
Unread 08-28-2014, 06:32 PM

The landscape is pleasing enough. The scrap bag feels like a nice beginning and could really sing if the swatches had some details. The composition, being centered like that, is a little static. I am dying to try this ArtRage now. The great thing about digital art is that you can work on a copy and never screw up the original.

My question is - are these really this small? Because what if an experiment develops into something genius?? At this size it couldn't be printed at any decent quality, not submitted to a competition, not be a book cover, etc...And by the time you find you love it it's too late.
Unread 08-30-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Passmore View Post
The landscape is pleasing enough. The scrap bag feels like a nice beginning and could really sing if the swatches had some details. The composition, being centered like that, is a little static. I am dying to try this ArtRage now. The great thing about digital art is that you can work on a copy and never screw up the original.

My question is - are these really this small? Because what if an experiment develops into something genius?? At this size it couldn't be printed at any decent quality, not submitted to a competition, not be a book cover, etc...And by the time you find you love it it's too late.

After reading your comment, I added details to some of the swatches. Don't know if those details improve Grandma's Scrapbag or not. I'm attaching version #2 (below), thinking it might be better to just begin a new painting.

In reply to your question about the size of these paintings. Before working on a painting, you can change the size as well as the number of pixels per inch. I have been, however, using ArtRage presets (because I have yet to read the users manual) and, while working with the canvas onscreen, I usually keep the magnification such that the painting area is about 8 x 6 inches . . . unless I decide to zoom in or out, of course.

Thank you for commenting, Sharon. I appreciate it.

Name:	Grandma's Scrapbag - version 2.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	817
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:54 PM

"Grandma's Scrapbag #3"

Name:	Grandma's Scrapbag - version 3.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	820