Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-14-2018, 08:33 PM

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.co...cai-speech-dc/
Unread 02-16-2018, 04:31 AM
Distinguished Guest

Excellent. Thank you so much for this, Mark. I follow Indian Country Media, but, (coincidentally!), I was up on the Coushatta Indian reservation, on the day this was published. About this remark:

"Then, she made a promise to lift up Native people. 'I’m here today to make a promise: Every time someone brings up my family’s story, I’m going to use it to lift up the story of your families and your communities,' said Senator Warren."

Good for her. I look forward to seeing it, in my lifetime. Let us hope for better things.

As an aside, addressing specifically Pocahontas, herself. Here is a book which interested readers might like. I have read this, and I recommend it. It is the traditional, sacred oral history from the Mattaponi concerning her.

https://www.amazon.com/True-Story-Po...+of+pocahontas

Like me, Indian Country Media suggests this book, and you can read the Native American endorsement here:

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.co...-i-suggest-33/

Best,
Jennifer
Unread 02-16-2018, 04:50 AM

Thank you for the link, Jennifer. I've just ordered the book.

John
Unread 02-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Distinguished Guest

My pleasure, John.

I see now that the Cherokee author of the "ThinkProgress" piece has already responded:

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/16/...ght-direction/

She says, "I think [her remarks were] a step in the right direction, and it almost seems like she is saving the hardest part for last, which was admitting that she was wrong. … I actually think there’s a lot of opportunity for Warren to be a public example of that."
Unread 02-16-2018, 12:31 PM

That seems nicely put.
It looks like we'll be visiting Jamestown this March. I've never been there, to my knowledge.

John
Unread 02-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Distinguished Guest

Have a safe and fulfilling trip, John.

This was a shrewd political move -- one she just had to make. The Wall Street Journal reports now that she is polling third behind Biden and Sanders, for a potential presidential bid, and the situation becomes even stickier, for example, in light of the Native American Indian cookbook to which she contributed several recipes, and listed herself as "Elizabeth Warren, Cherokee." Some are claiming even the recipes are inauthentic, merely old French cuisine. That is pretty "out there."

I mean, even *I* would not do this, and I have beaucoup familial photographic evidence, genealogical "tracks," and not to mention that on a summer day without my cosmetics, I could pass for Sacagawea...

Jennifer

Last edited by Jennifer Reeser; 02-19-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: correcting a misspelling
Unread 02-19-2018, 01:55 PM

Jennifer, please stop and ask yourself who really benefits from the tarring and feathering of a political opponent of the folks who want to bring the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines to fruition.

And ask yourself who really benefits from attempts to demolish the credibility of someone who opposes the Trump Administration's profit-seeking assault on the environment in other areas important to native peoples.

And for what high crime is Warren being vilified?

For having submitted five "family" recipes to a cookbook that was edited by her cousin and self-published by the Five Civilized Tribes Museum as a fundraiser, 34 years ago.

That's right, she contributed to a Native American museum's fundraiser cookbook. How dare she? HOW DARE SHE?

Meanwhile, her political opponents proceed with their plans to demolish tribal rights, environmental law, and due process in places like Standing Rock and Bear's Ears. While you focus on an old cookbook, they're laughing and firing up their bulldozers next to sacred sites.

Don't let these people use your pride to manipulate you into helping them. Parroting their contempt for Warren undermines one of the bulwarks against their encroachments, Jennifer. You're smarter than that.

[Edited to say: Of course, it's always wise to be wary of any politician's motives whenever he or she claims to be on your community's side, especially after a record of not exactly having been in the forefront of championing your community's causes. An apology was definitely long overdue from Elizabeth Warren for her tardiness in supporting specific causes important to Native Americans. But at least she hasn't been actively working against your community's interests. Can the same be said of those who are encouraging people to ridicule Warren with nasty, racist stereotypes and nicknames?]

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 02-19-2018 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Addendum
Unread 02-19-2018, 03:16 PM

What Julie said.

Warren's political opponents value Native American rights (not to mention environmental protections, reasonable gun laws, and economic justice for working people) far less than she does.
Unread 02-19-2018, 05:13 PM

And what Julie and Max said.
Unread 02-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Distinguished Guest

LOL, Michael. Julie, Max -- thank you. I realize I can be hard to read. My terse and dry remark was simply stoicism, not contempt. Nonetheless, I shall carefully consider all you say.

I would like to repeat, I don't think most Cherokee even care about this. My sister and I are very close. Although she lives in Indian Country, we talk almost every day. I have asked, "What do you all think of this Warren thing?" She sighed, and replied, "You know, Jenn, we are trying to get approval from the tribe for medical care and stuff like that. We don't have time to talk about this."

Neither does the Chief himself seem interested. I am on his email loop to the Cherokee. He discusses the shipments to aid the Sioux, the language immersion program, the opioid lawsuits, etc.

I guess I like to analyze things more than your average Indian

Jennifer