Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-12-2015, 10:31 AM

Default No name yet

To continue my experiment of posting unfinished work, this is another piece that is not finished, however I would say it's about 85% of he way.

This is oil on canvas panel - 11" x 14"

Unread 02-12-2015, 01:00 PM

Thumbs up

It is a great picture.

However, I think you have an inadvertent Monk figure up a tree in the centre, complete with tonsure and holding something which looks more like a hammer than a crucifix. Irreverent comment, I know.
I am a "creature of habit" when it comes to pareidolia and the like.

The wonderful cast iron garden chair could, in my perception, benefit from a solitary tiny red dot. (http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/176337)
Unread 02-13-2015, 12:43 AM

I'm not sure how pointillist you want it to be, the foliage in the upper foreground (the leaves on the trees esp. the green ones) look very dot like, whereas the other parts of the landscape look much more blended. This may not be noticeable in the original and of course depends on one's distance from the the painting. I also see two figures in the foliage but that's not a problem for me. I like the painting, it's an interesting technique, I think you've handled it very well. I thought it was a Seurat when it first appeared, it's very inviting, a happy painting.
Unread 02-13-2015, 06:16 AM

Thank you, Václav and Ross.

Václav, I love that you see a monk in there. Yes, it was inadvertent, but I'll take it. I'm sure that a texture like this can suggest many pictures. As a monk, I'd like him to be an Asian monk sitting cross legged with his back to us, but I think this is really a woman in a long dress with a feathered skirt (the blue-grey shrub). She is swaying to music alone because her date is late and we can see him running to her on the left. Now that I look at this I realize I must get rid of the rubber duckie though.

The chair is one of the areas that is not finished yet. It has only the base coat of color so far and I am not sure what I will do with it. I feel like it stands out quite a bit, being such a bright white and I don't know if I like that yet. I never intended to leave it that color but now I don't know.

Ross, Let me say, if you ever paint in the fall, take a picture at the beginning because by the end your leaves may not be there anymore. So, my top leaves being gone, I started to play. I made the dots at the top bigger intentionally, trying to bring them into the foreground. Am I going to wait a year to finish this? That is a possibility, of course.

I am considering bringing some large dots to the bushes right behind the chair, to continue with this idea large dots being closer, but I'm not sure about it because I like the areas under the bush so much and I don't want to screw them up. I think these foreground bushes will be the deciding factor about the leaves at the top.