Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-10-2019, 03:33 PM

Default Think 9.1

I got my contributor's copy of THINK today and there are a few 'Sphereans.

My "Log Cabin and a Coonskin Cap", which benefited from workshopping here is in it.

As are some phenomenal translations of Acoma Pueblo translations by Jennifer Reese and some of Susan's Rilke translations we've been enjoying.

Though I can't post the poem until April 2020, another poem of mine benefited from your feedback and will be in RHINO.
Unread 05-10-2019, 05:17 PM

Congrats, Andrew! Though I think there's a case to be made that it's much the same ship it has always been...
Unread 05-10-2019, 08:14 PM

Nice poem, Andrew. Congrats! I think it's definitely the same ship in terms of the design and blueprint, but not the same in its materials. It's like us as we age. Are we the same as when we were children? Are we the same person as we were 10 years ago? Each and every cell in our body has been replaced. So are we the same person? Yes and no. But there is something to be said for continuity.

If you could be teleported, and every atom in your body were replaced when you arrived at your destination, you are in essence exactly the same person as you were before you were teleported.

The same goes for the log cabin.

On the other hand ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

The Wikipedia article has several different solutions to the Ship of Theseus paradox. I just read it and found it intriguing.

Last edited by Martin Elster; 05-10-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Unread 05-11-2019, 03:20 AM

That is an interesting Wikipedia article. However it appears - unless I am totally missing the point - to pass over what seems to me one more relatively simple solution, my own favorite and one implied by the teleportation example: that focus on "parts" itself fundamentally misses the point, and that existence is instead relational, a truism since Einstein if not long before. The relation of subatomic particles to each other - their ratio - determines what element something is. Existence is built from that. Further, the relation of atoms and molecules within us determines our physical existence. And lastly, energy, be it particles or waves, is constructed relationally. A wave is a series of relations between points. This seems to me so self-evident, both as principle and as solution, that I am somewhat astonished to find it missing from the Wikipedia page, which might perhaps benefit from a tad less philosophy and a tad more basic science.

Cheers,
John

Update: just to add that "the internet is a series of tubes."
Update II: just to add, Andrew, that I enjoyed your poem, termites and all, as well as Jennifer's translations. Susan's I've been following.

Last edited by John Isbell; 05-11-2019 at 03:26 AM.
Unread 05-11-2019, 10:33 AM

Only one of my Rilke translations was published in Think Journal, "Late Autumn in Venice," but one of my own poems that was workshopped here, "Danse Macabre," also was published.

Susan

P.S., there was also a review by Susan de Sola, two poems by Bruce Bennett, an essay by Ned Balbo and Jane Satterfield, and a translation of Petrarch by Lee Harlin Bahan, just to name some poets who have been on Eratosphere in the past. There are also many names that people will recognize from the poetry conferences, such as Alfred Nicol, Anton Yakovlev, Burt Myers, Cara Valle, Barbara Lydecker Crane, and D. R. Goodman.

Last edited by Susan McLean; 05-11-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Unread 05-11-2019, 11:18 AM

Susan,

Thank you for the correction. I only skimmed the poems table of contents and say your Rilke--and assumed that both were translations. Further, I clearly missed some other names.
Unread 05-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Isbell View Post
That is an interesting Wikipedia article. However it appears - unless I am totally missing the point - to pass over what seems to me one more relatively simple solution, my own favorite and one implied by the teleportation example: that focus on "parts" itself fundamentally misses the point, and that existence is instead relational, a truism since Einstein if not long before. The relation of subatomic particles to each other - their ratio - determines what element something is. Existence is built from that. Further, the relation of atoms and molecules within us determines our physical existence. And lastly, energy, be it particles or waves, is constructed relationally. A wave is a series of relations between points. This seems to me so self-evident, both as principle and as solution, that I am somewhat astonished to find it missing from the Wikipedia page, which might perhaps benefit from a tad less philosophy and a tad more basic science.

Cheers,
John

Update: just to add that "the internet is a series of tubes."
I agree, John, that the Wiki article is incomplete. I like to think that, as living organisms, we borrow atoms like a wave borrows the water it moves through. And atoms themselves are made of elementary particles, which are themselves really tiny knots of vibration in the quantum field that permeates the universe, which is a dynamical continuum called space-time.
Unread 05-11-2019, 02:05 PM

Martin: "we borrow atoms like a wave borrows the water it moves through." How elegantly put. Thank you for that lovely image, Martin.

Cheers,
John
Unread 05-11-2019, 09:05 PM

Thanks, John. Glad you found the image engaging. (I've actually used it in a couple of poems.)
Unread 05-19-2019, 03:06 PM

Congrats, Andrew! I enjoyed the poem, especially the ending.

Nausheen