Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 08-18-2010, 09:50 AM

Hi Adrian

Many thanks for posting. Unlike you, I did not have the privilege of knowing Margaret personally, but I was always pleased when she published one of my poems in her fine electronic magazine, (poetry)Worm. It is ironic that I was a frequent visitor to Poole, Dorset, where she resided. My late maternal uncle lived there. I had in one of my emails made a loose arrangement to meet Maz when I was next in Poole. My Uncle Doug died in spring 2007 and so there was less reason to visit. I believe Maz's funeral service took place at Poole Crematorium which also witnessed my uncle's service.

All the best

Chris
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:20 PM

I haven't been here for over a year...I am so sad about Margaret...she had a good no nonsense approach to critiquing that was very helpful, yet she could write fantastic poems about things that didn't exist! She'll be missed. Her poetry eZine "WORM" archives are still accessible at www.poetryworm.com. She has some of her own posted there.
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:39 AM

Hi all

For those of you who may have missed it, I did review Maz Griffiths' posthumous collection, Grasshopper: The Poetry of M A Griffiths, in Loch Raven Review, Winter 2011.

Best regards

Chris

Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 08-15-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Hi Chris,

I didn't join Eratosphere in time to know Maz, but I've heard so much about her from those who did. In fact, we talked about her last Friday at the Oxford gathering of sphereans.

Thanks for opening up this thread - I've bought Grasshopper just this minute as a result. I wanted to buy it at West Chester but I simply couldn't fit any more books into my luggage!

I'd like to read all of this thread, too, as well as your review. I was shocked to discover that Maz died so young. Thanks again, Chris.

Jayne
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:50 PM

Hi Jayne

Very glad to re-open this thread and remind people about Maz Griffiths' work. Also pleased to know my post encouraged you to go ahead and purchase Maz's book. Certainly, as I noted in my review of it, her book is a bargain at the price, filled with well crafted, witty, and sensitive works. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I didn't know Maz except through cyberspace as an editor and poet. I always found her charming and easy to deal with, a pleasure to know. As you say, she passed away too early. She has left an empty space that many of us feel even today.

Best regards

Chris

Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 08-15-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Unread 08-16-2012, 03:29 PM

"She has left an empty space that many of us feel even today."

Yes, indeed she has. I agree with Chris, for anyone unfamiliar with Maz's work I do urge them to buy her book. Rose Keheller's site 'IMO Grasshopper' pulls together a range of material relating to Maz's poetry and it's certainly worthwhile dropping by there too.

http://ramblingrose.com/grasshopper/

Alan

Last edited by Alan Wickes; 08-16-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Unread 08-16-2012, 05:56 PM

Jus read Grasshopper last month for the first time, and then read it again, and parts a third and fourth time. I hardly ever read things that closely.
Unread 08-18-2012, 07:26 AM

I wonder if it might be time to pull together a smaller book to complement this one, which has done so well: perhaps 'The Selected Grasshopper.'

Ed
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:07 AM

I agree Ed, a smaller volume which highlighted Maz's finest work, published by a mainstream press would certainly assist in bringing about a wider appreciation of her talent. Easier said than done, I suspect. It would, I think, need people with some stature and good connections amongst the publishing and academic fraternity to get behind the project to have any hope of success.

Alan
Unread 08-22-2012, 12:43 AM

Exclamation

It's wonderful that so many are helping to keep interest in Maz's work alive as the third anniversary of her funeral approaches.

One of the silver linings of the family medical situation that's kept me off Eratosphere for the past year is this: I've been able to redirect my obsessive energy away from the hospital by focusing on Maz's work.

I've been organizing this chronologically within major topics (Ars Poetica, War, et al.). When a particular poem was posted on several different poetry forums, I've made editorial choices from among all the variant versions. I've added the textual changes that Margaret indicated farther down in discussion threads; she often didn't go back to amend the original post, and these were missed in the first edition. I've also wrestled with what to do with certain context-dependent poems--silly contributions to poetic potlucks, irreverent zingers to lighten the mood of arguments, even a few tongue-in-cheek examples of What Not To Do in a Poem--which suffer badly when presented side-by-side with her serious work...but which also show an important part of her personality, which should surely be represented in some way. As she once said:

-----
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 20:36:21 +0100
To: The Pennine Poetry Works

I don't think poetry is always ‘the expression of real and powerful emotions’, by the way. That seems like stereotyping poetry to me. A poem can be, for instance, an epigram, a jeu, a joyful playing with words. I think those are equally valid forms of poetry.
Kind regards,
grasshopper

-----

On the other hand, she also said:

-----
Eratosphere: The Discerning Eye -- Opinions & Criticism
Post by grasshopper, 05-07-2008, 09:34 PM

[Discussing "Breakfast Song," which Lloyd Schwartz furtively copied from Elizabeth Bishop's (now-missing) notebook in 1978, and published in 2002 when he co-edited Elizabeth Bishop: Poems, Prose, and Letters.]

This reads to me like a little ditty, the type that poets produce like doodles. I think she'd be embarrassed to know it had been published.
Regards, Maz

-----

I agree that a slimmer "selected poems" from a mainstream publisher is needed to promote Margaret's work beyond her existing fans. Personally, I am only interested in revising the collected works (first refusal of which I will offer gratis to Arrowhead Press, subject to the approval of Maz's estate, of course). But I fervently hope that any selection of Margaret's work will take advantage of these newly-edited versions of the poems, and especially of several new poems--some of them published in UK magazines (print and online)--which have turned up since the January 2011 publication of Grasshopper.

In short, reprint permissions for Maz's poems are still secured through Arrowhead Press, but anyone interested in doing a selected might also want to check with Rose Kelleher or me. (I've been backing up my work in a private part of her archives in case I'm unavailable for an extended period.)

I've also been compiling Margaret's extant prose, which I hope Margaret's estate will grant permission to publish either as magazine articles, or in book format, or both. The wit and wisdom of her ars poetica statements and views of life in general, as expressed in critiques of others' poems and in topical musings (particularly about war and sexuality), have the potential to be enormously influential.

And wonderfully entertaining at times. Which is why I kept returning to this project during some of the darkest days of my life. One example:

-----
Eratosphere: General Talk
Post by grasshopper, 10-14-2006, 05:38 PM

[Responding to banter, debating whether a temporarily banned Eratosphere member was in Limbo or Purgatory]

The only kind of Limbo that I've experienced is a dance that involves bending over backwards and trying to keep going as the bar is progressively lowered--I think it's a pretty good metaphor for trying to maintain one's equilibrium in a workshop.
Regards, Maz

-----

Gotta love that Maz....

Cheers,
Julie Stoner

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 08-22-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Just so you know it's really me. I always edit.