Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-23-2018, 05:59 PM

What Michael said. Thanks fairy godmother!

Cheers,
John
Unread 04-24-2018, 06:26 AM

Agree with most of what has been said - including the regret, warts and all, that I did not find it earlier. I'd also back Andrew's thought on a 'Like' facility. I can see the sternly serious, critique-oriented reasons for not having it - but I'm sometimes discouraged from simply regstering enjoyment of a piece by the absence, especially on the main Metrical/Deep End boards.

I think one of the most intriguing aspects of the site is the extent to which it throws at least some light on what subjects/impulses seem most frequent in driving poetry - especially from different locations.
Unread 04-24-2018, 11:56 AM
Distinguished Guest

Jayne, what you do is a thankless job. I know. Because I used to do it. So -- thank you.

I check the Deep End about once a month, and every couple of months or so (after a hiatus), drop a comment for Nemo, or John Isbell, or Mary, or someone I have never read before.

"Accomplished" and "General Talk" -- more regularly, but still not often. It tends to go in spurts. I love to see the good news about others' publications, etc.

Jennifer
Unread 04-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Mike and John,
It's nice to be appreciated. Thanks, guys!

Nigel and Andrew,
I must confess that I know nothing about ''Like'' facilities (I don't 'do' FB or any other social media), but don't be discouraged from simply registering enjoyment of a poem. No one's going to object to a quick "Love it!" type of post if there's nothing more to add.

Jen,
Going in spurts is fine... I fully understand that we all have demands on our time from jobs, family commitments, etc.
Thanks for your thanks!

Jayne
Unread 04-26-2018, 07:45 PM

I look in almost every day -- mostly GT, GA, and AM, so basically the ones grouped as 'Conversation.' I like listening in on the conversation, and get a lot my poetry news (plus commentary & analysis) from the Sphere. I like hearing about where other members are publishing their work, and reading the work if it's online. I'm also glad to have a community of poets to share my own poetry news with. When I come across contests that seem well suited for Erato poets, I relay the news. I know that in at least one case, a member had a poem published in the New York Times thanks to a call for submissions I had come across elsewhere and posted on GA. So that makes me happy. Basically, I enjoy the community, conversation, news, wit, and humor. Once in a while, I look at the prose & critique section or the workshop boards, but not very often.

It's true that I don't participate much in workshopping (I did workshop a couple of poems a long time back, and offered the requisite number of crits in return, per Sphere guidelines), but I think different people fit under the Sphere umbrella in different ways. Some folks are very active in D&A and regularly submit to (and win!) the weekly contests. Others might be here primarily for workshopping poems and improving their craft. Some (like me) for the conversation & fellowship. Or whatever reasons, or all of the above. One's needs might also change over time. Whatever brings us here seems fine to me.

And I add my thanks as well, to all the mods and Alex.

Nausheen
Unread 04-27-2018, 07:56 AM

I admit that I have been visiting less often since I got addicted to Facebook (yes, I admit it) -- also that I never post my own stuff for critique and rarely critique anybody else, not being good at it -- but I do check the contests and the good news boards, and the General Talk (mainly, nowadays, hoping for a good growl on American politics). Thanks for everything.
Unread 04-27-2018, 10:39 PM

Ditto what Gail says. (btw, thanks for stopping by my Facebook page)

I do lurk a lot, there is much knowledge to be gained here. Probably my sensitivity, but I feel a cool reception whenever I put my 2 cents in. (Like now
Unread 04-27-2018, 11:40 PM

Well of course you get a cool reception. You're older than almost everybody who posts here (even me), and funnier than almost everybody (even me). That doesn't make it very easy for the rest of us.
Unread 04-28-2018, 05:46 AM

Hah! It's a good thing you said "almost", Michael. I'm four years older then Edmund, and Bazza is even older than me. (I won't speculate on what that means for our respective funniness ....)
Unread 04-28-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cantor View Post
Well of course you get a cool reception. You're older than almost everybody who posts here (even me), and funnier than almost everybody (even me). That doesn't make it very easy for the rest of us.
Is this the same Michael Cantor we used to know and love?