Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-12-2014, 05:53 PM

I like the style and the subject matter. The composition worries me a little, the crows on the upper left are cut off as if the painting is based on a photo.
The painting has energy and is of a professional standard so I can see it working, I used one of my computer paintings on a poetry book I published but the colours were'nt quite the same in hard copy so I'd recommend you get a hard copy printed sample of the cover before rolling out the edition.
good luck
Ross
ps the whole time i have been typing this the local gang of crows have been cawing like crazy, magica magica..
Unread 04-12-2014, 09:43 PM

There are different color systems in use for print media vs images using light (TV computer etc...) This is because colors made from light and colors made from pigment work in an opposite way.

For print you need CMYK and this is based on pigments. This is "subtractive" color. Pigments absorb light, subtracting what light is bouncing back to your eye. All colors of pigments added together create black or close to black.

For images of light on a monitor, the system is RGB. This is "additive" color. Mixtures ADD more light shooting to your eye. All colors of RGB mixed together make bright white light.

There are some other systems but this is the main gist of it.

This is why an image created using an RGB system will look insipid and washed out when printed in CMYK (which is what your printer is doing) and vice versa. So, Yes!, check first but also simply convert your file to the correct color system for whichever output you want. There is usually a setting in the color menus of a program. And don't worry if your image on the monitor looks bad when you convert to CMYK - this is to be expected - just print one and judge from that.
Unread 04-15-2014, 05:47 PM

Cyn,

First, love the painting.

You might be interested in Birds in Art, where, if your painting is accepted into the show, it would hang with works by Robert Bateman, Lars Johnsson, Chris Bacon, and other fantastic artists. The deadline for this years show is today, but there's always next year.

See more about it at lywam.org (The Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum in Wausau, WI).

Again, love the painting, but since I'm not familiar with your writing... Good luck with the book.

Wes
Unread 05-06-2014, 03:32 PM

Sorry I missed your comments folks. Busy on those final book editing chores. Yeah I worry about color translation but this press has done what looks like a very good job with cover art in the past so I am hopeful. I am not positive I will get to see a hard copy before it goes to press here in a few weeks.

I can assure you this is not from a photograph. And I am of the mind that there is a tension set up by not having all images squarely in the frame. The idea is a corner of the eye type of feeling plus I was after a lot of action in counterpoint to the somewhat static foreground. A coming and going.

Thanks for your appreciation of the work Wes. Believe it or not I have been in a show with Robert Bateman! But my work at that time was in fiber/weaving. It was a show called Watershed Art which I and two cohorts curated/organized as a culmination of a 2 year project with some very fine artists including Bateman and Tony Angell.

Here is a photo of it in a current invitational exhibit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MAC show 2.jpg
Views:	1319
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	780  
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:30 AM

Congrats on the invitational. Looks good!
Unread 05-10-2014, 01:51 AM

thanks Rick. Getting excited about my solo show in that same space.