Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-28-2018, 07:06 PM

Default Dublin/Paris

Hi all,

My wife, a friend, and I will be in Dublin for two days (sadly not Bloomsday) and Paris for six days. We've never been to Dublin, but have been to Paris a few. Curious if you have any recommendations for things to be sure to do or not do.
Unread 05-28-2018, 08:27 PM

Well, in Paris you could possibly meet me for a drink... I'll be there with my wife and older brother, June 8-17.
If you're in Paris for a few days, I'd wander over the the Place des Vosges, where Victor Hugo lived, and to the Jardin du Luxembourg behind the Senate. Gertrude Stein lived just around the corner. You might also enjoy the Musee Rodin and the Musee Picasso, besides the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay. I am also partial to the Palais Royal, the actual building with its lovely inner courtyard.
Oh - on the islands, there's the Monument des deportes, behind Notre Dame at the eastern tip, which is quite moving, and then the smaller and still quieter Ile Saint Louis.
Sorry I don't know Dublin. But do see the Book of Kells in the Trinity College library.

CHeers,
John
Unread 05-28-2018, 08:50 PM

Damn, I should have specified the days:

Dublin 28 June - 1 July
Paris 1 July - 10 July

I would have loved to meet you in person in Paris, my wife and I's favorite city.

I very much enjoyed the Rodin when I went. I currently teach an all-girls catholic school in the Sacre Coeur order, and the Rodin museum was once in their possession. When I was there the old chapel had a Maplethorpe exhibit. (Cracked me up).

I'll see if I can make it out to the Place des Vosges and Palais Royal and Monument des Desportes.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Unread 05-28-2018, 09:01 PM

Sorry to miss you, Andrew. Have a great time!
That is a weird place for a Mapplethorpe exhibit.

Cheers,
John
Unread 05-28-2018, 11:57 PM

I recommend taking a public boat tour in both cities, if you can. The perspective from each city's main river is a cheap and interesting way to compare and contrast the two places--especially when the tours are taken only a few days apart. Also, since the commentators work mostly for tips, they try to be as entertaining as possible, so you'll probably get some good laughs in.
Unread 05-30-2018, 12:29 PM

Julie,

That's a great idea. We've done it for some other cities (Budapest, Prague), but haven't done it in Paris. A Liffey and then Paris boat cruise would probably be lovely. Thanks!
Unread 05-30-2018, 02:08 PM

What Julie said plus walk along the banks of the Seine and check out vendors selling all kinds of curiosities. Walk especially from Louvre to Notre Dame along left bank.

There's also the bookstore, Shakespeare & Company, pretty much across the river from Notre Dame that in it's day was something of a pilgrimage for writers and drifters. I think it's still there. Very cool place to sit in tired old easy chairs and pull a book off the shelf. If it's like it used to be...

Isle St. Louis is an idyllic cobblestoned urban island with great architecture perfect for coffee, stroll, lunch and all the beautiful views.

The only time I was in Dublin was as a student, dirt poor, with only enough money for pub and grub. I had wanted to see the Joyce’s Martello Tower not far outside Dublin that opens Ulysses novel but couldn’t get my act together. But I think that would be a nice place to be.