Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 08-21-2018, 01:19 AM

For journals that publish formal and free verse, I have subscriptions to Able Muse, The Hudson Review, and The Paris Review.

For Japanese forms, I subscribe to Modern Haiku (probably the best of its kind, though it's starting to get away from traditional haiku) and Presence (the best haiku magazine in Britain, more traditional than MH). I also read The Heron’s Nest (again, more traditional haiku) and Contemporary Haibun Online regularly.

In the past, I subscribed to Queen’s Quarterly (only a couple poems per issue, but many thought-provoking articles) and Arc (more free verse / experimental) to stay in touch with Canadian poetry, though I’ve let both lapse.
Unread 08-21-2018, 06:09 AM

I'm moving to Canada in mid-September—maybe I'll check those out. Thanks Edward.
Unread 08-21-2018, 06:42 AM

I'm working on an issue of Raintown and it should be out this fall. It's a good one, too, with lots of familiar faces, and even a classic Quincy Lehr essay.

I confess I've struggled to keep up since it's been just me, especially with my political/resistance activities since 2016.

Anna
Unread 08-21-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Novick View Post
I'm moving to Canada in mid-September—maybe I'll check those out. Thanks Edward.
Aaron, Queen's Quarterly claims to have a national focus, but it's really representative of central Canada (i.e. Ontario). Arc does a good job of drawing from poets from across the country. If you're interested in the literary scene in Atlantic Canada, then The Dalhousie Review and The Fiddlehead are two journals that have a national reputation but maintain a local focus.

Anna, I'm glad to hear that Raintown has an issue coming out in the near future.
Unread 08-21-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Novick View Post
Andrew, would you mind saying a bit more about the vibe of the various places you subscribe(d) to? Or at least those you like best?
If I didn't have a school subscription I would get Poetry and APR. They're all a poetry with some essays. Obviously, as they are pretty generalist, you're going to get a lot of poetry you don't like, but I always find some poems in each I do enjoy, and them--plus Kenyon Review and Ploughshares--do a nice job of giving you the lay of the contemporary poetry land: those journals highlight the favored people in PoBiz, and I think that's valuable. I often like the prose in KR and Ploughshares a great deal, sometimes more than the poetry. But still, I've found good poems in all of them.

Smartish Pace strikes me a bit like Rattle: open to all sorts of voices, and open to poetry in form. I tend to like Smartish Pace better, and not just because I was published in it. But both strike me as very good, very diverse poetry-only journals. 32 poems is similar to both of these; I'd say it's roughly equivalent to each, though less open to straight formalist work.

Threepenny had surrealist stuff (I think Dean Young appeared twice in it in the two years I subscribed...and they only published 4-5 poems per issue, quarterly). But they also had minimalist, one dramatic monologue from St. Jerome in half-rhymed couplets, and work in translation. If they published more poetry, I'd keep it. The prose is very good, though, probably better than KR and Ploughshares, so if you really do love reading the prose, there were cool things in it.

Tar River I've enjoyed: all poetry, journal that has published formalists and non-formalists. Less experimental, though; you're going to get well-crafty, relatively traditional poems. Boulevard adds in some prose, and maybe a little more open to experiments with form, but nothing really like concrete poetry flies there. Both these journals tend to like more personal based, "I"-focused poems, off the top of my head.

Able Muse: my first hasn't come yet, but I hardly think you need me to tell you what's in it.
Unread 08-26-2018, 09:56 AM

<cough> Antiphon http://antiphon.org.uk/wordpress/ <cough>
Unread 08-28-2018, 03:07 AM

Yes, Rosemary! I heard your cough.
Unread 08-28-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Frisardi View Post
Acumen in the U.K. is a good one, or used to be anyway, as I haven't seen it in a while.

The Oxleys are the real deal.

Here's the website: https://www.acumen-poetry.co.uk/
I was in the last one, Andrew! Got my free copy, but I really must subscribe.
Unread 08-28-2018, 02:10 PM

And I've kept your robo rejector busy.
Unread 08-28-2018, 03:58 PM

Aaron,
The Alabama Literary Review is free online.
Bill

http://spectrum.troy.edu/alr/index.htm