Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 05-12-2006, 12:09 AM

Get paper, a writing stick, and a timer and set it for 7-10 minutes. During that time just write. Do not remove the pen from the paper. Post what comes of it.

Pages and pages in a corner rotting gracefully like a rose left unnurtured after spring. In a daze I glance at the sunlight reflecting off rooftops and streets being illuminanated by this yellow refreshing glow. Why does the mind question when the heart knows all? Why can we never believe our heart in it's most furious moment? Furious with anger, joy, inspiration, love, creativity; hate. Sometimes it's this stale bread we leave in our cupboard that refuses to move and free us without the threat of crumbling, leaving us alone and unnourished. You know the bread is stale and will never nourish you like it could have if you hadn't saved it for later, but now it seems like a shame to throw away something that was always there for you. Cracks in the wall lengthen and become more visible over time. Where a doorknob slams into a wall there is left an indent that is usually hidden to the neglegent door goers but aparent to anyone who takes a look inside. With no lights but the dim blue glow from electricity and melted sand the cracks can grow unnoticed.

[This message has been edited by James Freethy (edited May 12, 2006).]
Unread 05-12-2006, 12:17 AM

Why?
Unread 05-12-2006, 01:59 AM

For excersize, fun, and putting down thoughts that have been floating around in your head without being written down. Yeats did this sort of technique as did/do a lot of poets.

And because you like writing in general?

[This message has been edited by James Freethy (edited May 12, 2006).]
Unread 05-12-2006, 02:37 PM

James,
I won't deny that it's a good exercise for the writer, but I should think it's very rarely that it will produce a piece of writing that will be interesting to anyone else. So while I can see the point in doing this to clear the channels, as it were, I don't think the results should be posted, any more than I'd encourage anyone to post first drafts of any piece they haven't worked on at all.
Regards, Maz
Unread 05-12-2006, 02:54 PM

Doesn't John Ashbery do this all the time, chortle.

May we extend the idea? If automatic writing doesn't appeal to you, then, as a drill, put pencil to paper, or fingers to keys, and write the best poem you can in 7 minutes. A short one, probably, but aim high. Worth a shot?
Unread 05-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Distinguished Guest Host

Wouldn't we lie, though?
Unread 05-12-2006, 04:44 PM

All my poems were written in under 7 minutes. Doesn't it show?

Unread 05-12-2006, 04:47 PM

David -

Was that the best you could do in seven minutes? Yes, there's some nice word play there with "lie", but it's already been done to death.

Sorry but, while you do establish a certain air of inner doubt here that has promise, the meter's off, a rhythm is never established, every line is end stopped, and the monorhyme is more clever than good, and not enough to save this.

Michael

PS - Carol - enjambment would be a big help.

[This message has been edited by Michael Cantor (edited May 12, 2006).]
Unread 05-12-2006, 05:44 PM

Sidney Sheldon writes all his first drafts in just two weeks--and now don't everyone go snide before taking a tour past his bank account.

Dick
Unread 05-12-2006, 06:53 PM

'Wouldn't we lie, though?'

David,
From my experience, yes. I remember on one list a challenge was set to write a snapshot about current experience and sensations--just write it off the bat and post without any revising at all--only rule was it the posted piece must be exactly 100 words long.
Now, my piece ended in the middle of a phrase,(because I just chopped off the excess words at the end), but everyone else's 100 words ended neatly at the end of a sentence.
Regards, Maz
Closed Thread