Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 06-25-2020, 07:45 PM

Default Trumpery

Is there occasionally some form of prescience in archaic words?

trumpery

archaic

noun

trumpery; plural noun: trumperies

attractive articles of little value or use.

practices or beliefs that are superficially or visually appealing but have little real value or worth.

adjective

trumpery

showy but worthless.

Of interest also synonyms for 'trumpery'

Synonyms for trumpery

applesauce [slang], balderdash, baloney (also boloney), beans, bilge, blah (also blah-blah), blarney, blather, blatherskite, blither, bosh, bull [slang], bunk, bunkum (or buncombe), claptrap, codswallop [British], crapola [slang], crock, drivel, drool, fiddle, fiddle-faddle, fiddlesticks, flannel [British], flapdoodle, folderol (also falderal), folly, foolishness, fudge, garbage, guff, hogwash, hokeypokey, hokum, hoodoo, hooey, horsefeathers [slang], humbug, humbuggery, jazz, malarkey (also malarky), moonshine, muck, nerts [slang], nonsense, nuts, piffle, poppycock, punk, rot, rubbish, senselessness, silliness, slush, stupidity, taradiddle (or tarradiddle), tommyrot, tosh, trash, twaddle

Last edited by Jan Iwaszkiewicz; 06-25-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Unread 06-26-2020, 04:56 PM

Perhaps not archaic, but definitions 1 and 2 have been displaced by definition 3 in recent decades. I thought of them the moment I first heard Officer Derek Chauvin's name.

chauvinism [ shoh-vuh-niz-uh m ]

noun
1. zealous and aggressive patriotism or blind enthusiasm for military glory.
2. biased devotion to any group, attitude, or cause: e.g., religious chauvinism.
3. the denigration, disparagement, and patronization of either sex based on the belief that one sex is inferior to the other and thus deserving of less than equal treatment or benefit.

ORIGIN OF CHAUVINISM
1865–70; < French chauvinisme, equivalent to chauvin jingo (named after Nicolas Chauvin, a soldier in Napoleon's army noted for loud-mouthed patriotism) + -isme -ism

RELATED ADJECTIVES : chauvinistic
biased, bigoted, flag-waving, jingoistic, partisan, regionalistic, xenophobic

(As someone whose maiden name is actually Stoner, I should probably be a little more cautious about throwing stones from my glass house.)
Unread 06-26-2020, 05:11 PM

Ha, that's funny, Jan. The English language is prophetic. However, I'm sure in German there's a word for a racist with narsassic personality disorder, who's also obese and in the later stages of syphilis.
Unread 06-26-2020, 11:51 PM

The word a lot more accurately describes the media's level of maturity and reliability when reporting about almost anything to do with Trump. In that sense, it could be a synonym for "Fake news" and "Trump Derangment Syndrome"

Usage example:

"The liberal media has been engaging in excessive Trumpery and divisiveness because their side of the spectrum currently lacks a real plan and unifying message for dealing with real issues. Trumpery and hating Trump at any cost are not a real plan or message, unlike the idea of "Make America great again", and the actual facts behind the Trump administration of setting records with the economy, securing the borders, getting out of foreign military entanglements, making other countries pay their fair share, etc. Whatever you think of his character, Trump's achievements as a president are solid, in stark contrast with the media's Trumpery.
Unread 06-27-2020, 07:14 AM

This strikes me as prescient, too. Any guesses where it's from? It will be more fun to guess without the web's help.

Quote:
It was for the sake of this day that he had first decided to run for the presidency, a decision that had sent shock waves of astonishment throughout [the world of this fiction]. [Character Name]? President? Not the [Character Name]? Not the President? Many had seen it as clinching proof that the whole of known creation had finally gone bananas.
.....[Character Name], adventurer, ..., good-timer (crook? quite possibly), manic self-publicist, terrible [sic?] bad at personal relationships, often thought to be completely out to lunch.
.....President?
Unread 06-27-2020, 07:38 AM

Of course! Zaphod Beeblebrox! Way more charm than Trump though. And he knows where his towel is.

(Didn't cheat, honest. It's just before he steals the Heart of Gold with its Infinite Improbability Drive...)
Unread 06-27-2020, 08:13 AM

Damn. That was too easy.

Well done, Mark.

(I hadn't read Hitchhiker's since college and didn't remember it as well as you do. I was reading it to my 10-year-old and did a double-take when Beeblebrox was introduced with that passage.)