Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 06-28-2020, 01:41 AM

Default "Archaic" webzines (Stevens et al)

There must still be a sizeable number of members here who recall now-defunct poetry-based zines such as The Chimaera, The Shit Creek Review and The Flea. Apologies to the others.

For those with long memories or anyone who might be interested, this is an update on the Paul Stevens webzines — plus a couple of others where I had a role. Most of them stopped publishing new content before 2012, but Angle published until 2016 and its site was still live until earlier this year. Many of the contributers to these zines were members here.

The Chimaera stopped adding new content in 2011. The domain name was registered to Paul Stevens, and after his death in 2013 I tried to take it over (to keep the site at its original URL as long as possible) but that didn’t work out. The best archive available is at: https://web.archive.org/web/20161214...-chimaera.com/ – but there are a few glitches and none of the audio readings will play, since the links are to files that aren't there, or anywhere.

The Shit Creek Review stopped adding new content in 2011. However, http://shitcreek.auszine.com gives access to all issues. In the case of Issues 1-6 (files for which were stored at the now non-functioning shitcreekreview.com) the links point to an online archive, which does not always perfectly replicate the original site. There may be problems, for example with menus or audio. Audio in Issues 7-14 currently works (if you allow Flash in your browser’s settings) but it won’t for much longer, as browsers will soon stop supporting Flash. Since I host the above domain and have all the files after Issue 6, I might convert the audio to HTML5 format (supported by all browsers) if and when I have time.

The Flea likewise stopped adding new issues in 2011 but remained online at its original URL for about another 4 years. I was unable to take over the domain name when the Stevens registration expired, so there’s no live site currently. But there’s an archive at http://web.archive.org/web/201612161....the-flea.com/ (again, audio readings don’t work and there may be other glitches). Since I host all the files, I have a project in hand to restore The Flea as a live site, albeit not at the original domain. I mean it will still be an archive but with everything working as intended. I’m converting the audio coding to use HTML5 audio, which works on all modern browsers, and I’ll report here when The Flea is properly back.

14 by 14 is hosted by me and the site (14by14.com) has all content up to the most recent (2011). The domain name is registered to me, so this one will remain for as long as I’m able to keep it online. There was talk at one stage of restoring full activity (taking submissions again and adding new sonnets) but alas, that’s unlikely to happen.

Angle is no longer live at its original URL, as the domain name registration has lapsed. However, an archive of the site is available at https://www.webarchive.org.uk/waybac...epoetry.co.uk/, including all 8 downloadable/printable issues in PDF format.

Last edited by peterjb; 06-28-2020 at 02:18 AM.
Unread 06-28-2020, 01:44 AM

Oh, bless you, Peter.
Unread 06-28-2020, 05:16 AM

From one archaic poetry lad to another, thanks for looking after our history.
Unread 06-28-2020, 09:15 AM

Thanks from me, too, Peter.
Unread 08-08-2020, 12:53 AM

Ann, Chris, Maryann - thanks!

I said I would report here after rehabilitating THE FLEA, and guess what? THE FLEA hoppeth once more!

Of course "hoppeth" is going a bit far — it's still an archive and not a thriving, actively publishing zine. Still, for anyone interested, the restored version is at the-flea.net (.net, not .com).

Internal links are all working (I hope) and so are the audio readings. Many external links, e.g. on the "Friendes" page, are outdated, but nine years will do that!
Unread 08-08-2020, 07:18 AM

Umbrella and Bumbershoot both remain online as well. http://umbrellajournal.com .

It's not always clear how to click your way from the home page to the archived issues, but it can be done. If you know what you're looking for, Google still works. For example, you can Google to find the new Richard Wilbur children's poems that Bumbershoot published (in an issue that I "curated"), such as these.
Unread 08-08-2020, 10:42 AM

Thank you so much for the update, Peter.
Unread 08-09-2020, 09:51 AM

Thanks, Peter. It is nice to have access to these. You guys made such great spaces.

David R.
Unread 08-09-2020, 11:07 AM

Many thanks, Peter!

Best,

Martin
Unread 08-09-2020, 12:20 PM

My thanks, too, Peter, again. I'm trying to spread this around Facebook and Twitter as well.