Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-20-2019, 11:12 AM

Thanks, Nemo. I am curious to learn how you, Mary, and John are reading the hypothetical truncated version of the poem. What do you see that poem doing? At least at the moment, I read those four stanzas in isolation and fail to see a complete poem. I'd like some help here.
Unread 10-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Well, it's wide open that way, Aaron, and the responses I imagine might vary wildly. For me it becomes a sort of positive death ode, an ode to letting go and falling, emptying, of returning to namelessness and maplessness. The imperative "Stay gone!" then seems a self-address, commandeering the poet's voice through darkness toward invisibility, and even inaudibility. I read the incorrect suspicion in the original last stanza as a suspicion of suicide, that the narrator will drop and drown; and I guess that stanza could remain to posit a symbolic rather than a literal death. Yes, I like that stanza too. But I don't think the poem needs its opening stanzas, it doesn't need the narrative framework of recollection and location. I think where the poem takes you is the location, and that Stay Gone would make a good title, with its repetition right away in L1 being a fitting emphasis of location: gone. The poem knows where it has gone to; let the reader decide for himself where that is.

The soul has its own geography.

Is that suitably veiled enough as a crit?

Nemo
Unread 10-20-2019, 12:47 PM

Yes, Nemo, that's very helpful. It is a case of me knowing the poem, as I originally wrote it, too well to see the possibilities of the alternative. So I needed some guide to point the way. Your post achieves that.

I'll mull the thought. Thanks again.
Unread 10-22-2019, 08:16 AM

I’m trying on the truncated version for size, with a title I might kinda like.
Unread 10-22-2019, 08:20 AM

Hi Aaron,

I like the new title fine and am quite partial to the poem you now have. As a former Hoosier, I'm glad you're not calling it "Indianan Ode" myself.
One note: after "at my feet," I might go for a colon, not a comma, to indicate this isn't a list of different items. At least, that's how I read it.

Cheers,
John
Unread 10-22-2019, 08:39 AM

I adore it, of course.
To me, it's the best poem I've ever seen from you.
And the new title is excellent.

There is much that we do in private, Aaron, in the dark of composition, that need not be shared with a reader. All that goes on, in the shadow, is a part of the poem, but not the part that necessarily needs to lie on the page. I think you balance perfectly here—between the visible and the invisible. That balance is at the heart of poetry. Or, as I read this morning in Harry Crosby's diaries: "were it not for the Abyss / there would be no need for bridges". The abyss and the bridge are both here, in your poem—the feeling of falling and the stable arch over it.

Nemo
Unread 10-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Thank you, John and Nemo.

John, I think local context makes clear that S3L1-L2 is image + metaphor, not a list. A colon there would be too heavy-handed. “Indianan Ode” was, obviously, never in consideration as a title for this poem in any of its forms.

Nemo, thanks for helping me to see what’s going in this poem. I have long thought that Cavell was right that we often do not know what we have said, and this is a nice example of that. I’m really chuffed by how much you like this one.
Unread 10-22-2019, 09:20 AM

Excellent new title Aaron.

I saw the value in Mary's suggestion, and the cut and change of title, I think, vindicate her sense. She's not often wrong on these things.
Unread 10-22-2019, 02:17 PM

I Aaron,

I, too, like the latest version. You have followed your instincts, and I love the poem, as well as the new title.

Best,
Martin
Unread 10-22-2019, 02:32 PM

Hi Aaron,

I really like the revised version. It seems much stronger with the first two stanzas gone. Love the spiders being "all abdomen" and the N as butterfly, or reprising the butterfly of S3, as he floats feather-light down to the river in S4.

best,

-Matt