Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-28-2019, 03:16 PM

Max, if you get yourself an Evernote account (the free one will do just fine) you can install a plug-in on your browser that allows you to "clip" any page or portion of any page to your Evernote account. I find this to be hugely convenient for many things, including making copies of zine pages where I appear.
Unread 02-28-2019, 03:32 PM

Thank you, RogerBob. I'll look into that.
Unread 02-28-2019, 03:33 PM

If it weren't for the fact that I have no interest in reading or publishing fiction, I'd be interested. I've been really interested in working as an editor for a while.

Of course, I'm sure she'd have had people more qualified than me given the history of the journal.
Unread 02-28-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Szilvasy View Post
If it weren't for the fact that I have no interest in reading or publishing fiction, I'd be interested. I've been really interested in working as an editor for a while.
If you want to be Per Contra's poetry editor, Andrew, why not contact Miriam? She might be okay with it being revived as a poetry-only publication, or there may be someone out there who would be interested in editing Per Contra if it weren't for the fact that she has no interest in reading or publishing poetry.
Unread 02-28-2019, 04:18 PM

Just a nanosec to drop in on this interesting thread. I've had about three publications online, with two sites still readily available although no longer active, and a third that's cached and sort of hard to get to. Despite the tidal rush to digital everything, molecules at present are more permanent: hardcopy I can wave at people and could shoot into space on a space probe and can hand around at soirees. I think dual publication is my choice for online publication: (A) online, then (B) in a book (or two books: Book One, etc., and Collected or Selected). Ostraka and palimpsest are other possibilities for the long game.
Unread 02-28-2019, 04:29 PM

Max,

Thanks for the encouragement. I reached out to Miriam and told her I would ditch the fiction but keep the poetry and non-fiction.

It's unlikely she* would let me be editor simply because of how green I am, but you're right that I really don't have anything to lose.

EDIT: "follows through" was the wrong phrasing there. I simply meant nothing will likely come of this. But, nothing comes of nothing, so this is okay.

Last edited by Andrew Szilvasy; 02-28-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Unread 02-28-2019, 06:31 PM

It might be good to use the members-only area of Eratosphere called "Eratosphericals" for certain conversations about editors and publications, out of public view.

That forum uses the same password as the Deep Drills do.
Unread 03-01-2019, 04:53 PM

Allen, as I see it the sole advantage of print publication is that the most prestigious venues still are print. There's nothing online that compares to being published in Poetry, The Hudson Review, The New Yorker, etc., in terms of one's reputation and credentials.

But print publication in most journals is often just a credit you can claim with hardly anyone actually reading your poem. An example. Years ago, when I used to publish a fair amount in the print Light Quarterly, I believe they had something like 1000 subscribers. Once or twice I went to lunch with about six frequent contributors, and it was my distinct impression that even they had not read each other's work in Light. But even if we assume that all 1000 subscriber read and cherished every word in every issue, flash forward a year, or two years, and I think it's fair to say that literally no one is reading any of those issues.

Now flash forward a lot more years, and Light is now an online magazine. Unlike the old print issues which have basically disappeared from the face of the earth, every poem in the new Light remains available to every member of the human race who has an internet connection. If you Google the name of a poet, their poem in Light comes up. Countless other sites and blogs post links to those poems. In all likelihood, far more people will read the poem for a far longer period of time than would have read it back in the print-only days.

Per Contra is another example. Miriam has stopped publishing, but now all back issues remain once again online and can be read by anyone in the world.

So if you publish to be able to list a given venue on your CV, go for the print. But if you publish because you like the idea of your work surviving indefinitely and being available for anyone in the future to read, then go online.
Unread 03-01-2019, 08:50 PM

Rogerbob, I read every dang poem in the hardcopy Light issues, including my own for good measure.

I'm not saying one mustn't publish online. Were I to be accepted by The New Yorker, Poetry, or the HR, I'd be "stoked" As to the HR, I must compound something with as much gravitas as osmium. Then I will try the HR again. I have an actual and, yes, perhaps somewhat seemingly invisible hardcopy publication record that I won't adduce here, with many in classical translations or contemporary pieces inspired by Greco-Roman metrics that didn't ignite at Measure or a lot of other places where they weren't understood (not the fault of the poems or the editors), although The New York Times was weak enough to do a "modernistic" one in a chiastic structure pioneered by Kingsley Amis. I've often been less prolific than I'd like, but I've been hammering away and submitting my manicured gems and sometimes posting on Eratosphere - though less frequently than at first except for sprucing up Paleozoic troglobytes. On the other hand, I have a life outside of art. When I reach the Pearly Gates, I hope the doorman will say, Hmm, kept at it and kept the lid on life too, that's ok.
Unread 03-02-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Slater View Post
if you publish because you like the idea of your work surviving indefinitely and being available for anyone in the future to read, then go online.
It's a little more complicated than that. I'd be happy for all of my poems (or, well, a lot of my poems) to survive and be available, but there are poems I consider my best, and I want those to be the first ones people find. The more of my stuff is online, the less likely it is that people curious about my writing--few enough in the first place--will find what I most want them to find.

I've recently started loosening up about submitting to online venues, but I'm not positive I'm wise to do that.

(Like Allen, I read everything in the hard copy Lights, and even bought all the back issues (and photocopies of the three that were out of print).)