Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-30-2014, 07:38 AM

Default Comps. of Yore

A friend of my grandparents who now often writes for the Oldie used to enter (and win) New Statesman comps. many (though I'm not sure how many) years ago. Apparently he was invited back then to a party given by the magazine for regular winners, who were to turn up wearing their pseudonyms on name badges.

Does anybody remember one of these events?
Unread 12-06-2014, 05:42 AM

I've never heard of such a thing, though I have read that compilations of winning entries were once published in book form. I'd find it a little disconcerting to meet fellow winners in the flesh. I wish to maintain my private illusions: in my mind alone, Bazza has a ginger beard and wears a deerstalker hat, John Whitworth is a Norfolk farmer and David Silverman is a slickly suited City type.
Unread 12-06-2014, 08:28 AM

Thanks Adrian, that's interesting. I agree with you about David Silverman, but I've always thought Bazza would look a bit like Dr. Busby and John would wear an outlandishly broad Tudor ruff. Frank McDonald has wild ginger hair, a tonsure and horn-rimmed spectacles, Brian Allgar sports a brown check suit and has a permanently raised left eyebrow. W.J. Webster, for some bizarre reason, has sometimes got an elephant's trunk and ears. You wear a Panama hat and carry opera-glasses.

I think I'd probably continue to maintain these hallucinations even if I were to meet the hallucinees.
Unread 12-06-2014, 09:55 AM

Nicholas, you are right: I wear Panama hat and opera glasses. Even in the bath.

Oh, and John O'Byrne is a racehorse trainer in oatmeal tweeds whose speech is incomprehensible but mellifluous.
Unread 12-06-2014, 10:19 AM

How on earth did you know W J Webster was an elephant? Years ago I found a Speccie in a doctor's surgery and in it he/she'd won a competition with a poem that began "I wish I were an elephant". I head-hoarded it and taught it to my children...
Unread 12-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'd find it a little disconcerting to meet fellow winners in the flesh.
Adrian,
I've now met SO many Spherians (''fellow winners'') I've lost count, and every experience has been marvellous. We are a great bunch of people!

Only last week I nipped onto a Eurostar train to Paris, from St Pancras, to see Brian Allgar and his lovely wife Françoise. We had a wonderful time together: great food and drink, great conversation. What more could anyone want?

You should try it, Adrian. Every summer we have a lunchtime gathering of Eratosphere poets from both sides of 'The Pond', and other countries too, usually in Cambridge, Oxford or London. Firm friendships are forged, and I highly recommend attending such an event. Don't hide yourself away. I, for one, would be absolutely delighted to meet you !

Jayne

PS. You could forget all those perceptions of what people look like and see them for real (there aren't any 'warts and all' really, you know! )
Unread 12-08-2014, 02:00 AM

From my Norfolk cabbage patch I stumped back here to tell you the volumes are 'An Owl in a Sack Troubles No Man' published by The New Statesman, and 'Peacocks and Commas' edied by the divine Joanna Lumley published by the Bodley Head. Very entertaining both of them. Get them now if you can.

You can find out what I look like quite easily, Chris and and Bazza too. I have met Jayne, Bill Greenwell. Alanna Blake and the incredibly spry Martin Parker. Handsome and beautiful people, all of us.

Maud Gracechurch, a golden oldie, was a boat.
Unread 12-08-2014, 03:28 AM

Not forgetting this, from 1979 (Allen & Unwin):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img160.jpg
Views:	1301
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	833  

Last edited by basil ransome-davies; 12-08-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Unread 12-08-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post

PS. You could forget all those perceptions of what people look like and see them for real (there aren't any 'warts and all' really, you know! )
The problem is, I don't want everyone to know I have web feet and two heads. (I hail from Suffolk, you see...)
Unread 12-08-2014, 07:56 AM

Lucky you're not from Norfolk, Sylvia. You would have at least three heads, and you'd have to share the feet with your cousins.

Last edited by Brian Allgar; 12-08-2014 at 08:10 AM.