Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-01-2011, 01:52 PM

I see the Staggers occasionally and post things up when I do. The next challenge (the Bible one) is 4168. The next one to have a result will be 4166. I don't BUY the Staggers because I do not agree with its politics.
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Thanks, John. Looks as though the NS numbering is OK. Bit confused by your reply to Orwn some time ago but may have misunderstood.
Unread 03-01-2011, 04:35 PM

Jerome, it looks like you're a winner in the book titles -- or else they wouldn't be asking for your address. I suppose there's still hope for the rest of us who included an address along with our submissions.

PS--
John, if that's the way you feel, you shouldn't enter the contests. After all, you are boosting their circulation every time readers come across one of your winning entries, so you are aiding the enemy just as surely as you would if you purchased copies yourself. (I have a vested interest, of course, in your sitting things out. Now if I could only convince Bazza and Bill).

Last edited by Roger Slater; 03-01-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Unread 03-01-2011, 05:06 PM

Roger, when I win £25 from the Staggers that's £25 less for the revolution because I gift it immediately to the forces of reaction (which is me). So it's a win-win for the good guys. I don't think there's a flaw in that.
Unread 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM

The flaw is that your poems are so good that 100 new subscribers sign up every time one of your poems appears in the magazine.
Unread 03-03-2011, 12:54 PM

Default Shome Mishtake Shurely

John and Orwn, I've found the results of the tweaked book titles comp in the New Statesman by accident when googling for something else. Apparently published Jan 31st.

Although John said 'Nothing there for anyone I'm afraid' in his 12th Feb reply to Orwn's query I recognised Bazza among the £5 book token winners for singe titles ('Decline and Conjugate'). Bill Greenwell received £10 for '10 Uses of a Dead Categorical Imperative' and 'Just Wittgenstein'. Roger Slater and Michael Cantor got HMs, in a way, as many different people sent in identical entries and they listed these but without names. I think I remember Roger's 'Of Mice and Mensa' and Michael's 'Of Mice and Zen'. I apparently will get a £5 book token for 'Watteau, Jeeves?' Sorry, Orwn, couldn't see your name anywhere or recognise any other Sphereans. (Had a freeze or would post link. Will if I can find it again.)

Confusion in my previous post on this thread because the comp number was apparently 4161, not 4167, as John had it in the original Clever Staggers thread. They did say , incidentally, that it was one of their most popular ever

Last edited by Jerome Betts; 03-03-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Typos
Unread 03-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Default Link re previous post

This is the link with the Tweaked Titles results for those interested:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...w.google.co.uk
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:00 PM

Thank you, Jeremy