Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-12-2011, 05:25 PM

Default The Staggers: First Words

Bazza, Bill Greenwell and Chris O'Carroll all won prizes in the Slagging off Top Gear Competition. Jeremy Clarkson's ego will be even bigger now that he knows his name has crossed the Atlantic.

The new competition is slightly complicated. You are to posit a famous person of fact or fiction who falls asleep or is cryonge... hell I don't know the bloody word, for a long period of time and wakes up like Rip Van Winkle far in the future. What are his/her FIRST words. As many goes as you like by 24 March to the Staggers address.
Unread 03-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Administrator

That's a fantastic result for Bazza, Bill and Chris. Well done, guys! (Can we get to see their entries, John? I like Clarkson, actually, though I can understand why lots of people don't.)

Is the word you're looking for 'cryogenics'? And what is the Staggers address, please?
Unread 03-12-2011, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the good news, John. If you, or anybody, can post the actual competition results, I'd love to see which of my jokes made the grade. It was an interesting exercise, trying to do some politically incorrect roasting of celebs I'd never heard of before the Mexican car brouhaha hit the headlines. Kind of like trying to draw caricatures of faces I'd never seen. Fortunately, there's lots of online material available about their public personae and prominent idiosyncrasies.

Congratulations to the other winners, too. When I read your jokes, I'm sure I'll wish that I'd written them.
Unread 03-12-2011, 08:20 PM

To see the actual results somebody either has to BUY the Staggers (anybody done that?) or find a way of peeking at a copy over the internet.
Yeah, cryogenics is the baby. The Staggers address is comp@newstatesman.co.uk. I buy the Speccie and the Oldie. My budget does not stretch to the Staggers, though I WAS a subscriber many years ago. MANY years ago.
Unread 03-13-2011, 03:29 AM

Congratulations, B-B-C!

I propose we have a whip-round (or a Whit-round) to pungle up a New Statesman subscription for John. I have two un-cashed checques with which to endow the fund, who's for it?

Frank
Unread 03-13-2011, 03:58 AM

Me. What a cunning wheeze
Unread 03-13-2011, 04:16 AM

Come on Frank. There must be an English leftie in these islands who also writes poetry and drops in on eratosphere. He (it will be a he) only has to post the damn thing here. A pity Quincy doesn't live here really.