Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-07-2016, 06:23 AM

xxxxxxxxxx
Unread 12-07-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Greenwell View Post
The Spectator's current comp, however, is numbered from the first issue in 1950, and was cancelled in 1959 at about no. 473, and revived, without warning really, in 1967, with the next number in sequence.
Good heavens! I discovered the Speccie competition, and had my first win, in 1967. No wonder I hadn't come across it before.
Unread 12-07-2016, 08:20 AM

Thanks, Bill.

I would think the first break in a competition with such a long and illustrious history would merit more comment. I suppose that the decision-makers at NS don't feel that way is part of the reason it's ending--temporarily, I hope.
Unread 12-10-2016, 05:35 AM

In the latest issue of the NS, it is announced that the caption competition, which I know some here entered but which had no prizes - is also being dropped. On the letters page, there is a complaint about the dropping of the main literary comp.
Unread 12-10-2016, 08:14 AM

I put a note about the ending of the NS comps onto the Snakeskin blog. In the comments section, D.A. Prince has written about what the comps mean to her, and how rising to their challenges formed her as a writer. I'm sure that others on this board will recognise this as part of their own experience, too.
https://snakeskinpoetry.wordpress.co...-competitions/
Unread 12-10-2016, 09:35 AM

I, too, am gutted, even though I'm a comparative newbie. Having spent 30 years giving prep. to my English classes I found it rather refreshing, in "retirement", to have someone issuing me challenges with deadlines - and very occasionally a gold star rather than "Could do better". I've written to the ed. but can't threaten to cancel my subscription as I'd only get grief from the husband if I did that.
Unread 12-18-2016, 02:19 AM

I would have cancelled my subscription but, foolishly, I recently took out a 2 year pre-paid subscription. Although I will still enjoy the columns, arts and books coverage, every subsequent NS is going to hit my doormat like a delivery of dead dog.
Unread 01-28-2017, 09:29 AM

An update. I had a look at the NS in a newsagent this week. The competition page is now taken up by... a full page advert for student subscriptions to the New Statesman.
Unread 01-28-2017, 02:31 PM

I did buy the Staggers once. I used to take it in to school. My wife abd I won the crossword three times. It was an easy crossword. The Speccie's are quite impenetrable. I seem to remember Wendy Cope won competitions then. I stopped buying it when Richard Crossman became editor, a dreadful philistine.

If they want to appeal to today's students they will have to stop using polysyllabic words or referring to anything that happened before about 1990.

Did you know an England cricketer writes for them? I met him once. Ed Smith. He doesn't eat his vegetables.
Unread 01-28-2017, 04:15 PM

[quote=He doesn't eat his vegetables.[/QUOTE]

Oh, dear!

He'd better stay out of the USA. Mrs. Obama would give this misguided man a thorough scolding.

I read the link posted in George's post 25, and agree. Nothing like taking on one of the comps to accomplish the first stage of poetry .... which is to place one's butt resolutely onto the chair.

Last edited by Douglas G. Brown; 01-28-2017 at 04:22 PM.