Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 08-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Chris, maybe there are other relative newcomers to this bulletin board besides me who would appreciate a a short but complete "Bake-Offs for Dummies" reply here. Doubtless I am to blame, but I haven't a clue how any Bake-Offs work. Could you or someone else please lay it out simply?

(Hi, Rachel!)

- Allen
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:52 PM

Allen, it's simple enough. In accordance with announcement posts slathered all over the boards sometime in June, members emailed me entries with translation, original and commentary. I chose 12 and forwarded them on to Rachel Hadas, for securing whose participation this year we are all very grateful to Alex. Rachel reads the poems and comments ahead of time; then, we post two sets per day until the 12 are exhausted; all of you are of course invited and encouraged to comment as poems appear. Finally, members will vote on which ones they consider their favorites and 'winners' will be tabulated; finally, poet-translators will be revealed & we will all congratulate ourselves on yet another delightful event (I hope!). The real prize here for the winning entrants is having their work read and appreciated by Rachel Hadas.

Clearer?

Chris
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:41 PM

Rachel,

Thanks for volunteering to burden yourself with all this work during such a humid NY summer! I look forward to your continuing comments. For me, it doesn't feel like the right time to comment on your own work, so I'll just say I'm very pleased to see your work here as well.

BTW, we would love to see you at the Carmine Street Metrics readings when Wendy and Quincy start them up again in the fall...I will be there, as will the host of regulars, though I'm taking a much-needed vacay from helping to run the thing.
Unread 08-02-2009, 03:17 AM

I just checked, and sure enough, my "Ten Plays by Euripedes" is the Moses Hadad translation. Small world! I'm glad I didn't cluelessly buy the flowery version.

Welcome, Rachel.
Unread 08-02-2009, 03:21 PM

A warm welcome from me too; what a privilege to have you here, and looking forward to your feedback and the chance to learn.
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:33 PM

How wonderful to have Rachel Hadas as our Distinguished Guest. Welcome!
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:59 PM

What a priviledge! I'm looking forward to the translations and the comments. Welcome to the Sphere, Rachel!
Unread 08-02-2009, 06:09 PM

I want to add my 'Welcome!' to everyone else's. It's great to have you in the Bakeoff, Rachel.
Unread 08-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Welcome, Rachel! I just finished reading your collection The River of Forgetfulness, which I enjoyed very much (the Bocklin painting of The Isle of the Dead is a perfect image for your cover). I have also enjoyed reading your previous poetry collections and an interview about poetry in a collection that also contained an interview with Dick Davis (I don't remember the title of that collection at the moment).

Susan