Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-03-2017, 09:13 PM

Default July 15 in Petersfield.

Most of you might think of the great poets Edward Thomas and Robert Frost when you hear the UK place name Petersfield. And you'd be right, since that's where they walked and talked so much in the early years of the 20th century, and where Frost persuaded Thomas to try poetry, and why we are blessed with Thomas' subsequent brilliant, tragically cut-off rush of poems. (He died in WW I.)

Well, this might be a bit of an anti-climax, but I'm excited to be reading in Petersfield on July 15 as part of the South Downs Poetry Festival. The reading will be at 6:45 p.m. in St Peter's Parish Hall.

I will be one of a number of poets reading that evening. They include Patricia McCarthy who won The Poetry Society’s National Poetry Competition in 2013 and is the editor of the poetry journal, Agenda, as well as Wendy Klein and Norbert Hirschhorn. The headline poet for the evening is Raymond Antrobus. All of us are very different poets!

I've attached a document with more information about the poets and the festival. You can also go to the Festival's Facebook page.

It does say you can book tickets in advance, but I think just walking in would be fine.

Hope to see some of you there!

Charlotte
Attached Files
File Type: doc South-Downs-Poetry-Festival PR_7-3-17.doc (34.5 KB, 135 views)
Unread 07-05-2017, 11:17 AM

That's exciting, Charlotte. You will be both poet and ambassador (your visit may coincide with Trump's).

I confess I had to look up Petersfield, UK--got it, north-east of Portsmouth, in the South Downs National Park. I imagine it beautiful.

Good luck,

Aaron

Last edited by Aaron Poochigian; 07-05-2017 at 01:53 PM.