Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-29-2020, 12:42 AM

Can I get an amen?

Note that this isn't just any old church--it's literally the first Baptist church in America, founded by Roger Williams in Providence, Rhode Island, in 1638.
Unread 03-29-2020, 07:25 AM

x
I'll give you an amen and raise you a hallelujah.

The archbishop of Boston waived meatless Fridays during Lent. I can imagine the seafood industry's special interest group questioning their faith. "We all are suffering." I'm not. Happy, for the moment, as a clam.
x
x
Unread 03-29-2020, 07:47 AM

That's a fun cat video, James.

To each his or her own.

I can't look at a cat anymore without immediately seeing the atrocious Tiger King saga that has infected the bingers.
x
x
Unread 03-29-2020, 01:16 PM

Never mind. There's enough snark and sorrow in the word without my adding to it.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 03-29-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Unread 03-29-2020, 05:47 PM

I was just messing around. But, what Julie said. (Didn't watch that one, but do admit to watching more than one cat video in my life.)
Unread 03-29-2020, 05:58 PM

I finally read the whole article that Quincy linked to. It's all moldering applesauce.
Unread 03-29-2020, 10:55 PM

Yeah, Martin, it's hard to get through.
Unread 03-30-2020, 12:44 AM

Church gatherings according to R.R. Reno's druthers are still continuing in some places:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...istance-advice

Which makes me think of Jesus's answer when the Tempter challenged him to show complete faith in divine protection by throwing himself down from the Temple: "Do not put the Lord your God to the test" (Matthew 4:7).
Unread 03-30-2020, 05:13 AM

x
In other news...

This is the moment when a cliche turns back into being its first utterance: We are all in the same boat.
x
x

Last edited by Jim Moonan; 03-30-2020 at 05:27 AM.
Unread 03-31-2020, 12:25 AM

I'll be interested to see what R.R. Reno makes of this:

Police arrest Florida pastor for holding church services despite stay-at-home order
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/us/fl...rch/index.html

Quote:
...one of his attorneys issued a statement Monday challenging the logic of the county's stay-at-home order and saying the River church took extra health precautions for its services Sunday. The church gave each attendee hand sanitizer, had its staffers wear gloves and enforced a six-foot distance between family groups in the auditorium, attorney Mat Staver said.
Compare the precautions above with those mentioned in this March 27 email to a choral consortium by Adam Burdick, conductor of a community choir located north of Seattle, Washington:

Quote:
I don’t know if this below is more than what you want, but it’s what feels important to me to share, written for my colleagues but applicable to anyone. You may include any of this. Our Skagit Valley Chorale board has a strong desire that our experience can be a teaching story for others.

The basic details are that our community choir rehearsed in Mount Vernon on March 10, before restrictions were in place and when there were no known COVID cases in Skagit County. Now we have more than 25 members who have tested positive for COVID and many more who have been sick but have not been tested, mostly because of a scarcity of tests. One member has died and a few others have been hospitalized, one still in grave condition.

Here’s a lot of what we’ve learned in the past two weeks.

1. Don’t rehearse together. For us in Washington this is moot, but if other ensembles in other places are listening, the time to take action is now. We researched, discussed, and followed the CDC and Public Health guidelines for our county, we warned members who were sick or concerned about the risk not to come, we used hand sanitizer and washed our hands at rehearsal, we avoided contact including hugging (a staple for choirs!). We even skipped the lip trills. About half our group, roughly 60 members, attended. None of us showed symptoms at the rehearsal. Virtually all of us who attended were sick within a week. You will not know until it is too late.

[...]

5. We’ve found that the virus is tenacious. Several members got better and then significantly worse over a ten-day or more period. You must keep vigilant even when you think you have passed the worst.
I can share the whole email by PM if people are interested.

Update: Today it was reported that a second member of that chorale has died:
https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...fecting-others

Basically, live communal singing--as people typically do in church services--spreads saliva droplets and is a really, really bad idea right now.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 03-31-2020 at 01:10 AM.