Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-10-2018, 04:06 PM

Don't you live in the States James? You need to retain your citizenship in order to be one of the people who can vote him out.

One day he'll be gone. Don't despair.
Unread 05-10-2018, 04:11 PM

On the day, 80% of Alabama's white evangelicals voted for Roy Moore.

John
Unread 05-10-2018, 04:28 PM

It's not Trump as much as those who voted for him. You get crazies who run for office from time to time, but who in their right minds would vote for that thing? Even as a protest vote. [Comment here deleted. As much as I'd like to keep it, I just can't, ha.]

I'm from the states, but I live in Taipei, Mark. And I do vote. Just very frustrated about what's going on at home (obviously). And yeah, John, isn't that crazy?

Last edited by James Brancheau; 05-10-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Unread 05-10-2018, 11:40 PM

I now refer systematically to the "Christian" right here, I'm sorry to say. I no longer see any meaningful sense in which that particular demographic can be described as Christian. Trump seems to have shredded their last ties to faith (or charity for that matter).
Maybe they are focused like lasers on stacking America's courts with like-minded judges, and are prepared to put up with any sort of crime, no matter how despicable, to achieve that objective. It is the nicest interpretation I can think of. Though in all fairness, West Virginia just did choose not to elect the GOP senate candidate who did time for killing twenty-nine people.
I've removed the graffito about Obama I saw in WV in an Interstate gas station bathroom. It didn't seem to faze the employees unduly when I pointed it out to them.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by John Isbell; 05-11-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Unread 05-11-2018, 02:49 AM

James,

Quote:
who in their right minds would vote for that thing?
About 64 million people apparently, wasn't it? Yep, we live in frightening times. I'd be frustrated too if I was American. Brexit is embarrassing enough. I don't disagree with anything you said really, I suppose I just get skeptical when I see 'Make no mistake' followed by a sweeping generalisation. Though there's no doubt plenty of truth in your theory.

I don't think he'll do a second term. I think him winning was cathartic for the dim-bulbs and crazies of America - their big 'Fuck You' worked. But even a lot of them wouldn't go for him a second time. Would they? Many may have genuinely thought he would restore the economic fortunes of the white working class, which is not necessarily racism, just self-preserving tribalism. Hopefully they've been disabused of this. I have relatives - cousins, aunties - and old friends who voted for Brexit, they're all over my facebook feed; they may well have voted Trump too, if they'd had the chance. They're not evil or racist, though they annoy the hell out of me. But most of them thought Obama was great. A complete gent, a charmer. A good man. But they're easily persuaded and...well... they're not thinkers. The 'Trump Voter' can't be a generic type, however the media might paint them as either racist rednecks or 'alt-right' internet psychos. That can't account for 64 million people. If it does, then we're truly fucked. Hopefully the easily persuaded will be persuaded elsewhere. Of course, the Democrats need to provide some hopeful alternative. And we have to hope we're all still alive by then...

So much hope.

Taipei! Nice.

(I saw your comment )

Much love

Mark

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 05-11-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Unread 05-11-2018, 06:33 AM

Yeah, I get worked up about this every now and then and my apologies to John and Mark as I think I was rude a couple times in that exchange. Good for you, John. That kinda thing can't be tolerated anywhere, even (maybe especially??) in a restroom. And I agree with all of that Mark. You're right of course that it isn't all about racism, though I'd argue it's a pretty significant part of it. Which includes all the anti-immigration and islamophobic nonsense. (Haha, I figured you had, Mark. Just please don't tell mom and dad.)
Unread 05-11-2018, 07:37 AM

Thanks James. Not speaking up could suggest that hey, all the gas station patrons were OK with it. I would assume they were not.
The Alabama visitors' center had a video loop playing with Ella Fitzgerald in it, and when I asked the old white dude behind the counter about Ella's Alabama connection, he said: "Who's Ella?" There was in short a certain disconnect.

Cheers,
John
Unread 05-11-2018, 08:22 AM

No apologies needed, James. Well done in that bathroom, John.

Ok, I've said more than enough now, for a Brit. I recommend Matt's 'Trumpet' poem though, for laughter in the dark.
Unread 05-11-2018, 10:23 AM

I believe in standing up in bathrooms.

Cheers,
John