Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 08-16-2018, 04:38 PM

Default R.e.s.p.e.c.t.

What we need right now, as ever, is respect— to look back

For sharing your abundant gift, Aretha, thank you.
Unread 08-16-2018, 05:10 PM

"I Say A Little Prayer" is effing genius. With swag.

RIP, Aretha.
Unread 08-16-2018, 05:47 PM

Here's my favorite Aretha. From the start, but the way it builds takes it way beyond.
Unread 08-16-2018, 05:51 PM

Those are among the Queen's greatest performances, for sure. But can I put in a word for the astonishing lip-synched rendition of "Think" that is included in the Blues Brothers movie. Oh, my God.

This morning I heard on NPR two other amazing performances with which I was previously unfamiliar: Aretha at 14 singing gospel and Aretha in middle age subbing on short notice for a poorly Pavarotti and kicking the ass of the "Nessun Dorma."

Will provide links later if I find them...

Here's the Blues Brothers scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY66elCQkYk The greatest pleasure of this movie, in my opinion, is the musical numbers, like this one, in which giants of blues and soul are treated with the reverence they should command. That said, the narrative here depends on Matt "Guitar" Murphy defying Aretha and joining back up with the BBs--which always seems completely implausible to me after that towering song...

And here's a link about the "Nessun Dorma" incident: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...816-story.html Read the story before playing the audio.

And this one is audio of Aretha singing at 14, presumably when she was in 8th or 9th grade: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgTnA9FseWw

Last edited by Simon Hunt; 08-16-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Unread 08-16-2018, 07:32 PM

It's hard to talk about favorite Aretha moments, but one thing she did better than perhaps anyone else has ever done, at least in rock and roll, is take other people's songs - Otis Redding's "Respect" - and make them her own. A couple of others include Ben E. King's "Spanish Harlem" and her gospel take on Paul Simon's "Bridge Over Troubled Water," but a personal favorite is the great Sam Cooke's "You Send Me", sung her way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQNJTmyPdnw

Cheers, and respect,
John

PS Roger, thanks for sharing. That is quite beautiful.

Last edited by John Isbell; 08-16-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Unread 08-16-2018, 08:06 PM

Default Marginalia

An aside to Simon's post: Think is an impressive song indeed. And now the persnickety in me wants to qualify that, as a musician sensitive to tempo myself, I could not help finding the pace of the posted version manic or deliriously hopped up. Perhaps the film had sped it up to punctuate or fit the comedic context. The power of pipes, however great, alone can even be mis-used, like overblown, if the mastered track pushes chipmunk speeds through six more modulations than it needs. (As if genuine musical sensibility behind effects had suffered to be doctored by a record exec who thought more everything whatever better ad infinitum for a remix by Christmas.)

It all boils down in the end to only this: That I prefer the 1968 original cut as seeming less doctored I Think (link). That is, as a song of itself for listening. I am an insufferable purist at heart when it comes to Great music. I realise that, in saying this, I might sound to some off my rocker or some percentage thereof, and yes, I am on a persnickety limb just now. Had to include the link to the original. I hasten to add that The Blues Brothers was a stroke of comedic genius in its own right. Like you did not know that already.

Equivocation of no consequence aside, Aretha is awesome.
Respect is right!

P.S. This most intriguing conversation is greatly nourished by the links. Not to mention it being ad rem. If I let slip some hyperbole in my contradistinction, think chipmunks, know that I do still think the version with those suited brothers some show for the books.

Last edited by Erik Olson; 08-17-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Unread 08-17-2018, 02:21 AM

Simon, Roger -- amazing links! Thank you!
Unread 08-17-2018, 06:28 AM

Here's really early one I have always loved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYufJlLcwLU

Nemo
Unread 08-17-2018, 11:09 AM

Here she is at the Kennedy Center honors for Carole King singing Natural Woman. She was 73. The fur comes off at 3:38.
X
Unread 08-17-2018, 02:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOXKr7wh1Ac