Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-18-2004, 11:35 AM

My apologies, Sharon. I wasn't aware I had typed anything worthy of censorship. I thought answering sarcasm with its own words was acceptable.

I wasn't aware some was acceptable and others wasn't.

I'll let you deal with comments about the "so-called Art forum" from now on.
Unread 04-18-2004, 11:37 AM

Robert -

I knew I'd come across like Uncle Grumpy on that post, but it's all part of my Gresham's Law - bad poetry drives out good - thesis. Start posting awful poetry or non-poetry on any Forum, drop requirements and let anybody post anything, and over a period of time it all deteriorates, the better poets see a lot of junk up there and go elsewhere, the weak and non-poetic encourage each other, it flows to other Forums, Western Civilization crumbles, etc. Exagerated, sure - but that's what happens.

I feel that confusing any of the traditionally poetry-oriented Forums by adding PhotoShop threads raises a similar problem. I can see the FunExcise Board being engulfed by threads posted by the very limited - but extremely enthusiastic - number of members involved in photography, to the point where the poetry gets lost in the shuffle.

The original Art Board was established, I assume, to explore areas where poetry and art intersect. For whatever reason, poets stuck to Poetry and the Art Forums never took off. It's essentially become a Photography Board/Chat Room, and is increasingly given to pictures of pets, cars, family members, and each other. There are still good photographs posted, and discussions of technique and PhotoShop, but more and more of the Board seems to be going in the direction of a Snapshot Exchange, and where and how all that relates to poetry - or even art - puzzles me.

As long as the fun and games are limited to the "Art" Forum, I cluck to myself over the future of Western Civilization, but keep more or less quiet. I even enjoy looking. It's like reading the funnies. But if the photography starts drifting over to the various Poetry Boards, and changing their nature, I don't think this is healthy for the Sphere. (See my comments on Gresham's Law, etc., above.)

You've had any number of competitions and fun threads on the Art Board, and I don't see why they can't stay there.

Ekphrastic poetry writing competitions - similar to the one you staged some months back with the etching of the giant fish - are a different story. There, the emphasis is on poetry, and I could see it in FunExcise or General Topics. But the thread Sharon started was pure PhotoShop - it has absolutely no relationship to poetry - and I don't believe it belongs on a poetry Board.

By the way, the last time I checked, the definition of that Board was as as follows: FunExcise: Funny & serious poetry exercises (metrical poetry & Free Verse) Poetry! POETRY!! I don't see where it mentions photography.

Anyway, enjoy Nantucket.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Cantor (edited April 18, 2004).]
Unread 04-18-2004, 12:06 PM

Michael, you've explained why they can't stay there yourself:

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Cantor:
.........bad poetry drives out good - thesis. Start posting awful poetry or non-poetry on any Forum, drop requirements and let anybody post anything, and over a period of time it all deteriorates, the better poets see a lot of junk up there and go elsewhere, the weak and non-poetic encourage each other, it flows to other Forums, Western Civilization crumbles, etc. Exagerated, sure - but that's what happens....

The original Art Board was established, I assume, to explore areas where poetry and art intersect. For whatever reason, poets stuck to Poetry and the Art Forums never took off. It's essentially become a Photography Board/Chat Room, and is increasingly given to pictures of pets, cars, family members, and each other. There are still good photographs posted, and discussions of technique and PhotoShop, but more and more of the Board seems to be going in the direction of a Snapshot Exchange, and where and how all that relates to poetry - or even art - puzzles me.

My goal is to make Art as powerful and prestigious a section of Eratosphere as the poetry. Towards that end, I am going to use the communal forums as much as possible. I am waiting for the time we can have a presence in Accomplished Members!

You don't have to worry about anyone posting anything in Funexcise anyway. Only mods can start threads here.
Unread 04-18-2004, 12:07 PM

Robt,
Sorry, I didn't know you were working on one. I'm sure it's much better than my clumsy (and weird) attempt!

Sharon,
Please take mine out so we can see what Robt came up with. I PROMISE I don't mind, and I'm curious to see Robt's.

Thanks,
Rose
Unread 04-18-2004, 12:14 PM

No way, Rose, yours is fun. Robt is doing another right now anyway.

Robt has dibbed the next spot, folks.
Unread 04-18-2004, 12:31 PM

No way Rosé!

You beat me to it.

Here's my next one; moving on to nature, folks: with a trace of Islam for grace:

(robt)
Unread 04-18-2004, 12:43 PM

Hey, no fair - my white lines useta line up.

If I'd known the "rules" (?) allowed overlapping the preceding image, I'd've done that. Maybe I'll try that if I take another turn later. Meanwhile, I'll refrain from "dibbing" for now and watch this monster evolve.
Unread 04-18-2004, 12:52 PM

I've already been chewed out for it. Don't even think of it. jejeje™

Robt.
Unread 04-18-2004, 01:04 PM

No, let's not overlap up anymore - down only, OK?
Unread 04-18-2004, 01:07 PM

Sorry; we x-posted, plus I didn't read the overlap rule. Keep or delete, SHaron. Your choice.