Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Old 06-12-2018, 06:16 PM

Ann,

On first reading this poem, before I read the other responses, I took the poem for subtly humorous. But then, after I saw none besides mention the like, I read the poem in a more straightforward manner and worried thus that the bathetic was inadvertent (e.g. the tragedy of the fingertip) which formed the basic source of my issue with the anecdotes. But now with my initial reading confirmed, I have far less of a problem with the zany anecdotes, if any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Drysdale View Post
Erik, Your suspicion of humour was not misplaced....
Why? Because aspects of the bathetic or ridiculous, those I had pointed out, are actually apt when taken for wry humour instead of otherwise.

Butts is a bit of a confusing term then apparently, meaning both the backs of the rifles and the hides from which to shoot. I had not known the latter sense before now. But the terms of hunting being confusing is not your fault, and you use the terms correctly. So all is proper and checks out, in other words.

Cheers,
Erik

Last edited by Erik Olson; 06-12-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:16 AM

Time to let this slide down now, but not before I've thanked the last few posters, especially Erik for taking the trouble to go back and re-assess. I am chuffed that Fliss remembered the earlier sheep-poem and that Jan and Mark have met over Molly. Mark, I'll PM you about the "testament".

And as a last gift to all, here are two passages taken from an instructional piece (in Fieldsports Magazine) on the (iniquitous) practice of shooting driven grouse:

"My advice is to point the gun's (note lowercase, as distinct from the Gun who is being instructed) muzzles into the mass and a bird will suddenly show itself to be the right one. Go for it and take your shot, keeping your cheek firmly on the stock until you see the bird collapse into the heather, moving swiftly onto the nearest bird for your second barrel."

And, finally:

"The timing of when you start is tantamount to your success. Great excitement comes when you are faced with the prospect of either a covey or large pack of grouse heading directly for your butt."

Enough said, eh?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:55 AM

Ann, it's time for me to be the noise maker in the back of the class. I will remember to pack a kevlar fanny pack on my next UK visit.
Best.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:26 PM

Not so farst ... before you let it slide, let me leap in too. But I'll keep it brief.

Great point from which to take off with a poem.

Osmotherley I know. (I recommend The Golden Lion.) The others, not, although I've done some of this walk.

It seems to weave about, temporally. The air brakes must be from one of them new tourist coaches, but the last verse seems almost 18th century.

I did, of course, get "While the guns were halfway to the butts."

And Jake, of course, is never far away, I hope.

What else can I say. It feels authentic. Rich and strange but, to someone in the first generation off the land, also very familiar.

And I'm very glad you are putting a new collection together. See if you can include a new all-time favourite of mine, one I possibly don't know yet, to go with Miss Jekyll's Gardening Boots.

Cheers me dear

David