Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Default Style Invitational

Another thread that mentioned the size of the Post's readership got me thinking in more detail than I had before. I wrote to Pay Myers this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Goodman
Dear Pat,

Perhaps this message will be one data point which, if others accumulate, will help you successfully argue for a change you probably already support.

The Washington Post plays a large role in national and international discourse through its reportage and its example. The way it treats independent contributors is particularly important given that in many fields work recently done by employees is being transferred to contractors.

The Post is a profitable business with a wide readership. If the Style Invitational is of interest to the Post's paying readership, contributors should be paid.

Thank you for your frequent kindnesses.

All best wishes,
Max
Because I said in the other thread that I would probably compete in the Obits comp, I'll add that I've decided against it.
Unread 01-11-2019, 01:25 PM

Could you write her back to make clear that you want the payments to be retroactive?
Unread 01-12-2019, 02:19 AM

I get Max's wider point. I once took part in a TV quiz show and won what was (in those days) quite a large amount of money.

Quiz shows are popular. I always cringe when the accumulated "jackpots" are announced to a wide-eyed "woooo" from the audience. The sums are (relatively) peanuts and the TV companies are filling their time with cheap labour. Same with the WP, innit?

If the contestants, willing filling, start to cost too much (or the ratings drop) the quiz will disappear.

With regard to the Style Invitational, I'd be content with ink and a reputation. First, though, I must get my head round what the devotees regard as funny. I've had to take a step back because I've been a bit discombobulated by the cruelty of some of the ho-ho-ho and have found myself stepping in to defend the butts of some of their jokes (literally in a recent example).

But, hey - we all have to begin somewhere - surely?
Unread 02-07-2019, 12:15 PM

“This [$10 million Super Bowl ad] seems like an especially infuriating expense for a company that has: a) tried to take away health care insurance from part-time employees b) moved everyone toward riskier forms of health insurance,” Washington Post union representative Fredrick Kunkle said on Twitter over the weekend.

from Fortune

The Hill has a more positive article about the ad.